can i get help with new boiler

have a big problem, my back boiler has given up, and need a new one, i have been told that you can not have a new back boiler fitted now it has to be fitted to the wall ie combi boiler, my qoute was £3000, no way can i afford this as on dept repayment program with cccs, does anyone now if i can get any help with this, have 3 children and get tax credits

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Are you on any welfare benefits, other than tax credits?

Is there a reason why you cannot have a back boiler fitted?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • tigtag02
    tigtag02 Posts: 6,857
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    lucylu124 wrote: »
    have a big problem, my back boiler has given up, and need a new one, i have been told that you can not have a new back boiler fitted now it has to be fitted to the wall ie combi boiler, my qoute was £3000, no way can i afford this as on dept repayment program with cccs, does anyone now if i can get any help with this, have 3 children and get tax credits

£3000 for a boiler :eek: :eek: :eek:

Someone's seen you coming honey ~ you can get the whole kit and caboodle (rads) for about £1200!!

I suggest you shop around a bit more.

Not sure about this but would a crisis loan be applicable in this instance?
    :heartpuls baby no3 due 16th November :heartpuls
    TEAM YELLOW
    DFD 16/6/10
    "Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt :heart2:
  • i was told that back boilers are no longer made and fitted as you all no with it being gas you have to have someone corgi reg so found a new combi boiler on ebay £595 but still need a fitter plus all the pipes new valves on rads etc,
    i dont get any benefits, husband selfemployed only gets paid when jobs done can take 5 mnths sometimes, live on working tax and child tax credit
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I didn't realise you couldn't fit back boilers anymore (unless you can find one, and a dodgy engineer - not recommended), my dad's just put me right!

Just spoken to my dad (CORGI registered), and he says that for Bedford £3K probably isn't far off (you could get it done for a lot less further north).

Crisis Loans are available to anyone, however the amount that they will lend you is very limited, and they will take into account every penny of income that you have, including WTC and CTC.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    You may be entitled to a warmfront grant but this may take a little time to come through.

There is a thread on here, I'll try and find it for you, just a minuite.......

Tick tock tick tock........

Ah! here we are:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=185956&highlight=warmfront

Some seem to suggest you have to be on some sort of benefit but the people who come around to assess you seem to be on targets. The gent who assessed us wanted to put down any criteria that we came within a sniff of. We are claiming tax credits and I was on contribution based JSA at the time.

Our boiler was beyond economical repair and we had it replaced free of charge under the scheme. We also had loft insulation installed.

I don't have contact details to hand but there will no doubt be some on that thread for you, or you can just google for them.

In the meantime, fit an electric shower and get your family to take showers, and wear a wolly jumper. If you do qualify the saving will be wirth it.
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • I think back boilers are still available but in order to fit a non-condensing boiler you have to show that you have a location that makes fitting a condensing boiler impractical.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure