Descaling a washing machine

My mother lives in a hardwater area and has been pondering whether to be seduced by the adverts that recommend a regular descaling of her washing machine. (Calgon tablets?)

Anyone out there who can say whether it is worth doing. Does it add to the life of the machine or is it just another bit of clever advertising? Thanks for any advice or opinions.

Comments

• paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you for that link - interesting reading especially as my mother has ultra sensitive skin - one load of calgon and I can see her ending up in hospital with a monstrous reaction. Consider that your super good deed for the day!
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Vinegar works very well, just fill the soap dispenser or poar a little in with her next wash.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi paddy's mum,

This thread on the Old Style board might help:

Descaling Washing Machine

Also have a look at this site www.washerhelp.co.uk

Pink
  • kwatt
    kwatt Posts: 711 Forumite
    Used correctly normal detergent will do this for you without you having to pay for additives. It's an easy error to make in the face of scary adverts from Calgon etc. but then they want you to spend money on rubbish you don't need.

Good detergent contains a component called "builders" that specifically target calcium in the water, hold it in suspension and get shot of it with the waste.

Use cheapo detergent, underdose or just get it wrong and you will have a problem but rarely as bad as the adverts make out.

Hope that helps but if you want more info just ask.

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure