Ford Fiesta car heating not working, any ideas please?

Thanks for looking in. The heating in my Fiesta has stopped working. I had inconsistent trouble with it a few months ago, only once or twice where the opposite happened, it would only pump hot air and not cool down (despite turning temp knob right down to coolest, and driving for 20 mins or so). Then later it seemed to be ok again selecting either hot or cold.

Now I have the trouble that it won't warm up. I wondered if the temperature dial was actually doing anything so I took the back off (the small dashboard section where the dials are) to check that it was turning the control on the small circuit board behind the dial (which it is). I'm not a car mechanic but do like to learn and try to do it myself (saving and learning at the same time :) ). Does anyone have an idea what it might be and if it's easy to fix please?

Many thanks.

Comments

• trigger_mike
    trigger_mike Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Maybe heater maxtrix has gone?, does the car leak in water? or does the thermostat need changing?
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Check the water/coolant level in your radiator header tank and top up with twice boiled or distilled water.
    I have a fiesta and this is the first indication that the water level is dropped in the rad.
    I also had a VW Polo that did the same trick.
    HTH
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Heater matrix or the radiator is gone. Is there a leak from the radiator at all? Or does the temperature gauge gone above half way mark?
  • bingobango_3
    bingobango_3 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Thanks trigger_mike, fannyadams and ArsenalFC.

The temperature gauge sits at around half way (will double check this but am sure when I looked it was half way).
    Will check the water/coolant level in the radiator header tank (with help from my manual to locate it LOL! ;) )

Will look into the matrix too. Thank you for all the fast replies :beer: , much appreciated. Will let you guys know how I get on with it.
  • rsvtoddy
    rsvtoddy Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My money's on a faulty thermostat (after you've checked the water level)!
  • i seem to remember a similar problems on a lot of small ford on www.honestjohn.co.uk it was something called the 'water valve' which may be faulty. I recall it was around £40 from ford and took around 1hour to fit.

If i was you id go to the honestjohn website and post your query there too. Its in the technical section of the forum
  • bingobango_3
    bingobango_3 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Have checked the water/coolant level in the radiator header tank and it's sitting happily between the min and max lines. Can't see and haven't noticed any water leaks.

Thanks mr_accountant, i managed to find a link on there, people talking of flushing the matrix, bleeding the system etc.

As much as I like to do things myself I think I might end up popping it into the garage to get them to have a look (not money saving I know, or doing it myself, but I am pretty limited on my car knowledge and don't want to start bleeding wrong things and so on).

Thank you all for your advice and help. Will keep you informed what happens.
  • djl
    djl Posts: 11,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    what I do is call my local ford dealer first for advice then try to sort it cheaper than there £65.00 per hour:eek: :eek: :eek:
    2015 wins £4.00 not mse:(
    2014 £44.00:mad:2013 £83.00 2012 £601.50
    2011 £1554.50 2010 £698.00 2009 £2793.00
    2008 £2816.00 2007 £1034.00
  • bingobango wrote:
    Have checked the water/coolant level in the radiator header tank and it's sitting happily between the min and max lines. Can't see and haven't noticed any water leaks.

Thanks mr_accountant, i managed to find a link on there, people talking of flushing the matrix, bleeding the system etc.

As much as I like to do things myself I think I might end up popping it into the garage to get them to have a look (not money saving I know, or doing it myself, but I am pretty limited on my car knowledge and don't want to start bleeding wrong things and so on).

Thank you all for your advice and help. Will keep you informed what happens.

why not post this query on their forum, then you will identify the problem, then buy the part from ford and take it to a mechanic to fit, it will be much cheaper than taking it to fraud.

In the first instance post on honestjohn
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    many older cars required bleeding, with the engine COLD and the radiator filler cap removed turn the heater controlls as you would for maximum heat and run the engine for a few minuites before replacing the filler cap, if you have an airlock in the system this should clear it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure