Car no claims bonus proof -help!

We have just changed our car insurance to Admiral because it is so much cheaper that what we had origionally.

However, I recieved a letter this morning asking for the proof of our (or rather my partners) No Claims Bonus. What should I provide for this proof? I'm a tad confused, I've never dealt with car insurance before and don't know what proof I should have.

They want us to return the proof within 7 days so any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
% of house owned/% of mortgage paid off. December 23 - 32.30%/24.54%
MFiT-T6 #5
MFW 2024 #6
MF Date: Oct 37 May 37

Comments

• malamute
    malamute Posts: 710 Forumite
    If you have the renewal from your previous insurer this shows your no-claims discount if not contact them and they are duty bound to supply the proof of your no-claims. You must send the document and not a photocopy also you don't get it back so i would make a personal copy for your self.
  • twinklie
    twinklie Posts: 5,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OOh brilliant. I wouldn't have known you don't get it back, thanks for that.

Is it worth sending recorded in that case to get proof that they received it?
    Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
    % of house owned/% of mortgage paid off. December 23 - 32.30%/24.54%
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
    MF Date: Oct 37 May 37
  • malamute
    malamute Posts: 710 Forumite
    i just made a copy and sent original and got proof of posting (costs nothing)
  • This is just my experience. And so far it's positive, so I'm prepared to state Endsleigh as my previous broker.

I renewed after two years to a different insurer, who wanted proof of no-claims discount/bonus (call it what you will). I'd heard getting this off insurers you were leaving could be really difficult. I rang up my Endsleigh and the first guy was very polite and said he'd transfer me to someone who could deal with it. Imagine my lack of expectation when he put me on hold. The new line picked up within about 10 seconds and the lady assured me the proof would be posted to my home address on the day the policy expired. I don't think that's standard unless requested, but it was certainly hassle free if it does turn up.

I shopped around and Endsleigh didn't match this time round, but they've been the best the previous two years and I'd not hesitate to use again (personally).

Just to add, my renewal quote didn't show #yrs NCD so I couldn't just post that to the new insurer.

Best wishes
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    After two attempts at sending the renewal letter to my new insurers I just phoned them up, gave them my previous insurer's number and they were happy.
    Happy chappy
  • I have just called my car insurer [50Plus Insurance Services] to cancel the policy as I have changed the car & insured the replacement elsewhere. Understandably the new company want proof of the no claim bonus. However 50Plus Insurance Services say tey cannot do this until the policy would normally end & that I need to call again at that time. That is ages away & in the meantine the new company are going to increase the premium. How can I get 50Plus Insurance Services to be a wee bit more cooperative?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Speak to a manager - they are having a laugh. You get no NCD added for the current year, so there is no reason to make you wait. Ask them to send confirmation that you have nil claims this year and to confirm your NCD when you originally started the current year's policy.
  • Mach22
    Mach22 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I've noticed that several firms offer NCDs of up to 20 years (which I can claim to have).
    But how can you produce proof of that many years NCD when most other firms only work to around 6 years max and that's all they will show on your renewal form ?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You need to keep a paper trail of renewal notices.

But the extra discount over the normal 65/70% these firms offer is minimal, and usually shopping around can bring up cheaper premiums even with firms who don't offer the extra discount.

And if you make a claim which affects your NCD level, it goes down from the max of 5 years irrespective of your previous 20 year level. (So after a claim, your NCD at renewal would drop from "20" years to 3.)
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    You need to keep a paper trail of renewal notices.

But the extra discount over the normal 65/70% these firms offer is minimal, and usually shopping around can bring up cheaper premiums even with firms who don't offer the extra discount.

And if you make a claim which affects your NCD level, it goes down from the max of 5 years irrespective of your previous 20 year level. (So after a claim, your NCD at renewal would drop from "20" years to 3.)

Feeling of deja vu here from a different thread.
    Not always, esure for instance don't drop all the way down if you have been with them a few years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure