What is the Best combi boiler

Comments

• glasgowdan wrote: »
    I just got the back boiler removed, fireplace removed and hole bricked and plastered up, new Vokera Compact 25 put in the kitchen. Total cost was £1670.

Not a good choice of boiler.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • http://www.bhl.co.uk/product/VOKERA_COMPACT_24_COMBI_NG_EXC_FLUE. Is it the same as this ? What band boiler is it ?
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2011 at 4:55PM
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    This one http://www.bhl.co.uk/product/VOKERA_COMPACT_25HE_COMBI_NG_EXC_FLUE And what's the point in saying someone who has already had something fitted has chosen the wrong one!

I take advice where relevant and am happy with my decision. I have a good, serviceable boiler fitted by a guy who worked hard to ensure everything was done right.

Think you will find you have had a boiler fitted illegally by a guy who has given you bad advice.
    The boiler you have listed is band b and we are not allowed to fit them.
    Regards.
    Did you get a letter from building control to say the boiler has been registered.
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2011 at 6:04PM
    Think you will find you have had a boiler fitted illegally by a guy who has given you bad advice.
    The boiler you have listed is band b and we are not allowed to fit them.
    Regards.
    Did you get a letter from building control to say the boiler has been registered.
    If this is the case I would advise that you phone the gas safe reg to avoid this happening to somebody else.http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/nominate_work_for_inspection.aspx they offer a free check to see if your boiler has been fitted correctly.
    Gas safe tickets all checked before the work was done don't be so concerned about my boiler thanks! The OP has a different issue and this has gone off topic.
    Your installation may not comply. It is good for others to see that you are happy with an installation that does not comply.
    Makes it so much harder for the rgi that do the job correctly.
    You are contradicting yourself, and making assumptions! 'May not', and 'does not' in the same reply. You are cordially invited to drive to Glasgow and have a look for youself. I won't even charge you for this service!
    Gas safe will do it for you for free if you call them.
    I am not trying to get at you. It is hard for us gas engineers anyway without these cow boy plumbers fitting band B boiler and not reg them.
    We are not allowed to fit band b boiler this is not an assumption.
    You didn't reply when I asked if the boiler was reg with building control so I will make an assumption on that and say it hasn't unless you tell me over wise.
    So all in all from what you have told us you are advising people on boilers or at least giving an idea on price when your boiler could have been fitted illegally and I am just trying to point these points out.

I do not want to slate you because I am sure you have had it fitted in good faith.
  • make sure you get at least quotes from a RGE, and go for one with a good name to it - I install Vaillant whenever I get the choice

Also make sure you are getting an A rated boiler.
    Plumbers can buy band B boilers a lot cheaper.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Band B boilers banned from October

24 September 2010
    Band B boilers are to be banned from October 1st, homeowners have been warned.
    From this date, installers will no longer be allowed to fit Band B condensed boilers into properties as part of changes to Part L of the UK building regulations.
    However, consumers who have already ordered a Band B condensed boiler will still be allowed to have one installed until April 2011.
    Band B oil-fired combination boilers can still be installed in properties.
    I could have put the wrong link up, it's a compact 25 anyway and I don't see it being illegally fitted. Why would a professional like those replying to this thread fit an illegal boiler?
    I wouldn't fit an illegal boiler but the reason people do is mainly greed.
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Mines Excellent. Works effortlessly, and seems very economical to run.

Baxi, Duo-tec Combi HE A Range

Given excellent reviews on the net, hth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure