Car insurance overlap and no claims bonus

jarthurs
jarthurs Posts: 56 Forumite
My car has recently died on the motorway and the cost of repairing it was too high so I decided to scrap it. I still have five weeks of insurance policy left to run on the scrapped car. Now from experience I once scrapped a car before and because I told the insurance company it was scrapped, they cancelled the policy (10 months in) and the said because the policy hadn't run for the full year I wasn't entitled to the NCB.

I'm hoping to buy a new car prior to the old policy running out, what is my position with regard to my NCB if I take out a new policy? The admin fee the old insurance company want to charge me will cost more than the remaining months insurance is worth. But if I go with another insurer I'm assuming I cannot claim the fifth year of no-claims I will get when my old policy expires?

Regards,
Jason.

Comments

• Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Call them and discuss your renewal for a new car - if it's a decent price then try to get them to waive the admin fee as part of the deal :)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You wont be able to claim any no claims from the old company unless you have cancelled the policy.

Admin fee £20 or so? Cant see why you wouldnt finish the current policy off and get an extra years
    no claims discount.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    jarthurs wrote: »
    My car has recently died on the motorway and the cost of repairing it was too high so I decided to scrap it. I still have five weeks of insurance policy left to run on the scrapped car. Now from experience I once scrapped a car before and because I told the insurance company it was scrapped, they cancelled the policy (10 months in) and the said because the policy hadn't run for the full year I wasn't entitled to the NCB.

I'm hoping to buy a new car prior to the old policy running out, what is my position with regard to my NCB if I take out a new policy? The admin fee the old insurance company want to charge me will cost more than the remaining months insurance is worth. But if I go with another insurer I'm assuming I cannot claim the fifth year of no-claims I will get when my old policy expires?

Regards,
    Jason.

So you haven't told the insurer the cars gone? Well don't.
    Seems to ensure there is no cost to you, you need to time the purchase of the replacement with the expiry of the current policy, as you say you are hoping to, rather than have, to buy within 5 weeks. ;)

With only 1 full month to run there will be no refund anyway, due to the "time on risk" factor.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    I'm hoping to buy a new car prior to the old policy running out, what is my position with regard to my NCB if I take out a new policy?

Your only options are to either cancel the policy (thereby then getting proof of your 4 years NCD to use now with another company) or to stay with the new company at least till the policy expires (thereby getting 5 years NCD proof).
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    Your only options are to either cancel the policy (thereby then getting proof of your 4 years NCD to use now with another company) or to stay with the new company at least till the policy expires (thereby getting 5 years NCD proof).

You don't need to cancel the policy to get proof of 4 years no claims, you already have that. Quentin, do you mean stay with the "old" company?

As I said earlier stay with your existing insurer for the few weeks, ;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You don't need to cancel the policy to get proof of 4 years no claims, you already have that. Quentin, do you mean stay with the "old" company?

Yes, for "new" read "old", thank you!

Regarding getting proof of the 4yrs NCD, I'm assuming this was used to buy the current year's insurance (so is now in the hands of the current insurer) - though if it was just a renewal, then the OP will have that (assuming he kept it safe!)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    He wont be able to use the 4 years no claims on a new policy as its already being used on the old one still.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,770
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The admin fee the old insurance company want to charge me will cost more than the remaining months insurance is worth.
    Have they actually told you this or is it just from reading the paperwork?
    I was in a similar situation once. Although the small print stated there may be a charge for any amendments to the policy when I contacted them they changed the policy to my new car with no charges & no increase in the premium.
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have just changed cars as my 1.2 Punto died on me, my policy runs out in Nov, so I phoned my broker and was charged a £20 admin fee plus £36 for change of car to a 1.3 Suzuki Ignis.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Or take out a one month policy to run alongside on your new car.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family