Changing the term of Nationwide mortgage

Hello

I'm after some advice from those in the know about Nationwide mortgages please :)

We currently overpay by the allowed £500 per month (in the fixed rate period still). We save money alongside this with the intention of adding this when the fixed rate is up and there is no cap on overpayments.

I have read a post in this forum regarding changing the term of the mortgage and would like some clarification before I call Nationwide.

Can we simply call them and ask to reduce the term, thus raising our regular monthly payments? Do we need to tell them what term we'd like or can we say that we'd like to pay say £2000 or £3000 a month and they would be able to inform us when it would run out if that was our payment?

Hope I'm making sense!

Thank you for any help, it's much appreciated. :beer:

DD :D

Comments

• SoozyJ22
    SoozyJ22 Posts: 3,239 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've changed my Nationwide mortgage term quite a few times. The way I do it is this:

- send them a message from my online banking asking them to post me the form you need to fill in to get the term changed
    - once form's arrived, I call them up and say "hello, I'd like to change my term so that my monthly payment is £xxx please" and they tell me which term would give me the closest amount to my £xxx and exactly what the payment would then be.
    - fill out the form with the term I was told over the phone and post the form.

It's all very easy and I've never had any problems.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You could also put the figures in "whatsthecost" and play around with the term until you get close to what you want to pay
    Say your term is 25 years and you pay £600 a month
    Then if term is 20 years you pay £675 a monthy
    then if term is 15 years you pay £875 a month
    I reduced my term by 12 years and payment went up by £500 a month !
  • chirpchirp
    chirpchirp Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try putting brett mortgage calculator into google and it will bring you up a calculator where you can put the amount you want to pay each month and it will tell you how many months are needed to pay it off.
  • Daisy_Duck
    Daisy_Duck Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    SoozyJ22 wrote: »
    I've changed my Nationwide mortgage term quite a few times.

Hi, thanks for replying :)

Another question for you if I may... have you ever extended your term again after shortening it?
    If for example we take 10 years off but then decide after a few years that we'd like to add a few years back on, is this as simple as arranging to reduce the term or are we on the new shorter term forever?

DD
  • JonnyBravo
    JonnyBravo Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Daisy_Duck wrote: »

Another question for you if I may... have you ever extended your term again after shortening it?
    If for example we take 10 years off but then decide after a few years that we'd like to add a few years back on, is this as simple as arranging to reduce the term or are we on the new shorter term forever?

DD

It's fine with a few proviso's. Such as it won't take you past your retirement date etc.
  • SoozyJ22
    SoozyJ22 Posts: 3,239 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Daisy_Duck wrote: »

DD

When I first started doing this I sent them an online message from my account and they did confirm that I would be able to lengthen the term again if I wanted.

I've not done so, but I'm pretty sure the form says the only restriction on doing that is that it's not extended past the original end date.

I highly recommend sending them an online message to get all of this confirmed though - they're very good and usually reply within a couple of days.
  • just reduced my term from the 23 years to 5 years Mental i know. I know it will be a hard slog but will be worth it in the end. My mortgage payment went from £550 to £1500 a month. And i plan to cover the increase through a combination of savings, extra money earnings (matchbetting, daily clicks, surveys, scratch cards etc) goodluck
    Mortgage Start jun 2007 £88500 Outstanding Balance £51000
    Overpayments 2007 Nil 2008 £1040 2009 £7853 2010 £10000 2011 aiming for £18000 (6k so far)
    The Early Bird Gets the Worm, but the Second Mouse Gets the Cheese!!
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    wow LMT thats an amazing amount to find each month from your original. Hope you dont struggle with that. Although it does sound good to only have 5 years left.
    I reduced mine today from 21 to 14 so not a big a leap as yours but I am a single parent and so playing it safe! It only upped my payment by £127 which I know I can afford. Mine was with the halifax and I just rang them up and they did it over the phone, he also said I could extend it back again if I need to also with no problem.
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • Daisy_Duck
    Daisy_Duck Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Thank you so much for your replies :)

I am feeling happier about calling now and will organise changing our term straight after Christmas. Will drop back to give an update!

Thanks again.

Wishing a lovely Christmas to all the MFW! :rudolf::snow_laug:santa2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family