Never paid a gas bill.

DrO_3
DrO_3 Posts: 3 Newbie
A non-internet connected friend tells me he has never paid a gas bill. The property he bought had no gas supply He got a gas supply fitted into the property and then about twelve months later had a central heating system installed. He says as no one contacted him he just forgot about it until recently.

If he contacted a supplier now would they bill him from the day he contacted them or for gas used since he started using it?

He buried his head in the sand because he thinks they will bill him from day one however I don't think he will have to pay it as technically he hasn't run up the liability with anyone as he doesn't have a designated supplier.

Someone else- in the pub( obviously)- told him the furthest back they can bill him is for three months.

Does anybody know the definative answer?

Comments

• saubryn
    saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
    I'm a bit rusty - its been a while since I worked for a utility company, but I'm fairly sure that when he got the gas connected he'll have had a supplier - even if they haven't billed him.

If he rings M-Number on this number: 0870 6081524 they'll be able to tell him who supplies the property.

If he's really worried, he could contact the local CAB and ask them for advice before speaking to any utility companies. They'll be able to advise better.
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
  • DrO_3
    Thanks for youe response.

He is pretty certain he isn't allocated to anyone as he had a letter from a company who stated they moniter who your suppliers are and that they have no supplier registered for him and to get in touch with them to inform who he is paying his gas too.

What are the implications of ringing that number? Is he in the system then?

If he was to contact a supplier and tell them he had just moved into the property and he wished for them to supply his gas would this solve his problem? Or would they require details of who the "previous owner" was paying their gas too?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DrO wrote:
    If he was to contact a supplier and tell them he had just moved into the property and he wished for them to supply his gas would this solve his problem? Or would they require details of who the "previous owner" was paying their gas too?
    They would check to see if they supplied gas to the property and if they didn't, would require your friend to register an account with the current supplier before they could take over... a bit difficult if there really is no current supplier.

I would imagine if he doesn't get it sorted, the gas supply will be cut off at some point.
  • firespire
    firespire Posts: 795 Forumite
    Personally I think he is liable to pay for the gas he has used whether or not he has been billed for it. If it was me I would be calculating how much I owed and be storing it away in a bank account until someone decides to bill me.
    Even if he didn't have a supplier billing company I would assume he would still owe the money to transco (or whatever they are called) don't they pipe the gas?
  • Gal
    Gal Posts: 437 Forumite
    If he had pipes laid. Then has a meter someone is supplying him. As the meter has to be installed by a designated supplier. Someone will be supplying his gas. And as a result he will be billed from Day 1. The only time a supplier will write that debt off is if they have not billed him for 2 years. Then by the guidelines the supplier signs up to with the energy ombudsmen (Yes the New company) will mean they will be breaking there code of conduct.

What he will probably find if the supplier has not been billing him they will spread the cost over the year and maybe offer some form of compensation as a goodwill gesture.
  • DrO_3
    Gal wrote:
    If he had pipes laid. Then has a meter someone is supplying him. As the meter has to be installed by a designated supplier. Someone will be supplying his gas. And as a result he will be billed from Day 1. The only time a supplier will write that debt off is if they have not billed him for 2 years. Then by the guidelines the supplier signs up to with the energy ombudsmen (Yes the New company) will mean they will be breaking there code of conduct.

What he will probably find if the supplier has not been billing him they will spread the cost over the year and maybe offer some form of compensation as a goodwill gesture.

So if he hasn't been billed for 2 years will they write off the total debt or bill him for the last two years?

It is 5 years that he hasn't had a bill for.

Thanks again for all your replies.
  • chugalug
    chugalug Posts: 969 Forumite
    This is happening more and more because there are so many suppliers.

I had a housing association property which had been bought by them and modernised in 1997 - I then moved in. I constantly tried to find out who was supplying me with gas but no-one could tell me. I rang transco, all the gas companies and my HA but no-one knew. I moved out in 2004 having never paid a bill. I volunteered my money, I begged someone to take it from me but no one wanted it.

AFAIK, you can only be billed if it can be proved you used the gas - how can they do that?? I even took meter readings when I moved in ready for the day I was billed but nothing.

Your friend just has to keep trying - and put some money away for the great day.(unless of course he's planning on moving out soon!)
    ~A mind is a terrible thing to waste on housework~
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DrO wrote:
    So if he hasn't been billed for 2 years will they write off the total debt or bill him for the last two years?
    Who's to say what the meter reading actually was 2 years ago? It will be interesting to see what actually happens.
  • Gal
    Gal Posts: 437 Forumite
    They cannot bill him futher back then 2 years. So any monies so if he hasn't been billed for 5 years then they can only charge him for 2 at the most.

Although 2 years of gas would be pretty expensive.

As for the meter reading from 2 years ago. Seperate companies read the meters in different areas so it is possible that the company in his area has records of his readings over time. If Its a national grid pipeline they send someone out to read the meters occasionally as well.
  • If he has been using the gas...why shouldn't he pay? Everyone else has too!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts