ESA and full time education

2»

Comments

• NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    I know,thanks.

But if he satisfies ESA (y) than they can still carry on with ESA (IR) and start full time education providing their are in receipt of DLA.

For ESA (y) you have to get backated medical evidence for the Qualifying Period (196 days).
    If someone is IRO DLA they can claim ESA(IR) anyway.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    It would be level 3 most likely (and i already have a degree so think that means i can't get ALG?)

No, you won't be eligible for ALG as you already have a higher level qualification.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    No, you won't be eligible for ALG as you already have a higher level qualification.
    Thought so,

thanks for clarifying ONW

Would i be able to claim DSA?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 January 2010 at 11:52PM
    I know,thanks.

But if he satisfies ESA (y) than they can still carry on with ESA (IR) and start full time education providing their are in receipt of DLA.

For ESA (y) you have to get backated medical evidence for the Qualifying Period (196 days).

If it was ESA in youth they were awarded then it would not be ESA (IR) they receive, it would ESA contributions based.
  • Garlicbread
    Garlicbread Posts: 61 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2010 at 10:48AM
    Hi Messed up,

I am 31, and in the support group for ESA. I also get middle rate care DLA but no mobility. I'm doing one year full time MA course. I'm in uni for less than 8 hours a week though, but it's still classed as full time. I also received DSA for this course. Doing this course has given me a whole load more confidence and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be able to do some level of paid work when I'm done. I think studying is great idea.

BTW if you do the course it's important that you notify a change of circumstances to the benefits people. I sent them a letter and attached a copy of my DSA needs assessment.

Skill is a really useful organisation for advice about this.

Feel free to PM me for more info.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Thought so,

thanks for clarifying ONW

Would i be able to claim DSA?

I'm pretty sure that DSA is for HE students (level 4 and over) only.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure