PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does indemnity insurance cover lack of building regs approval or just planning

permission?

I am waiting for the vendors solicitors to confirm that the garage conversation was converted to the correct stand. The vendors do not have any planning permission or building regs approval - it was done 10 years ago so it is out of the time frame the council would do anything but the soliciotr needs to let the mortgage lender know there isnt any bilding regs.

Idemnity insurance has been mentioned but i didn't think it covered building regs but may have just made that up as im not sure why i think that.
:rotfl:

Comments

• Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    After 10 years, planning permission is no longer relevant. However, building regs are very important, since satisfying them are what ensures your property is safe. Therefore, the indemnity insurance will cover building regs.

HTH
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • papermoney
    papermoney Posts: 583 Forumite
    I have just re read the letter from my solicitor and he is saying that indemnity does not cover building regs. He has said he will write to the lender and see how they want to proceed. They may ask for a full structural survey.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    In the same way that there is only 4 years for a council to object to work done without planning permission, there is only 1 year to object to a lack of building regs.

You should be directing questions to your surveyor about the construction of the conversion. Provided your surveyor is happy that the building is solid, you could either live with the lack of building regs or insist that the seller takes out an indemnity policy. All the indemnity policy will do is give you peace of mind when you sell. As 10 years have past there is no enforcement action that anyone can take. An indemnity policy only covers action being taken (an impossibility) it doesn't cover shoddy workmanship, hence my suggestion that you speak to your surveyor.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • papermoney
    I don't know who the surveyor is. I know that sounds daft. We paid the money to northern rock who dealt with it all. The initial survey said that the solicitor should convince themselves that everything is 'sound' I think this is what the solicitor is trying to do with the vendors solicitor.

I know the vendor can not prove it is sound. So not sure what happens next.
  • SpampMan
    SpampMan Posts: 7 Forumite
    Silvercar is correct, the period in which enforcement action can be taken has passed. Your solicitor, on the other hand, will no doubt insist on an indemnity policy before they give the OK to the lender. I have personally encountered this situation. I gave the vendor the option of getting BR approval on their extension (this was within 4 years of the work and as the vendor did not declare lack of building regs on the SPIF, I asked building control if they had a record which meant that a BR indemnity policy could not be obtained). They didn't, I bought another house and the vendors could not sell theirs.
    4 Homes Refugee
  • papermoney
    Thanks everyone. I have received a letter from my solicitor saying that the lenders are still happy to proceed aslong as I am aware of the situation and satified with the condition of the work.

My sol is just confirming with them if this means they want me to have a survey done on the property or not.

SO fingers crossed by the end of the week, we'll know more. This house buying is becoming a nightmare.
  • SpampMan
    SpampMan Posts: 7 Forumite
    You have an understanding lender and I may have misjudged your solicitor. Many sales fall through for this issue.
    4 Homes Refugee
  • papermoney
    I have had a run in with the lender right at the start of the process and did get it sorted. They are probably just wanted to get it over and done with to get rid of me lol.

The sol has annoyed me but i feel we are finally making headway, so going to stick it out.
  • Any update on what happened here? I am in a similar position at the moment and panicking a bit about buying the property we're intersted in... :-(
    Debt at 'ephiphany': £13,500 (March 1st) :eek:
    Money made from ebay 2009: £130 (£600 2008)
    Money made so far in 2009 from Mystery Shopping: £0 (£200 2008)
    ***1st March 2009 - begun claims from Halifax, Capital One and Arcadia RE unfair charges and missold PPI... Fingers crossed!!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Papermoney bought her house and has since sold it, I think!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure