Using Sky Plus Box without subscribing?

Comments

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    clane61972 wrote: »
    hi everyone
    just wondering if anyone knows if i can carry on using my sky+ if i cancel my subcription!! ive been with sky for over a year so can cancel,but dont know if i can get freeview once i cancel!! and still record!!!! would be very grateful if anyone has the answer.
    thanks
    christine

Well you managed to find this old thread, but obviously didn't read through it.

BTW, you cannot get " Freeview " on any Sky Receiver, that is a different system via a TV Aerial.
  • clane61972 wrote: »
    hi everyone
    just wondering if anyone knows if i can carry on using my sky+ if i cancel my subcription!! ive been with sky for over a year so can cancel,but dont know if i can get freeview once i cancel!! and still record!!!! would be very grateful if anyone has the answer.
    thanks
    christine

Without an active subscription, you can't use the '+' features. If there's anything recorded on your box when you cancel, you'll lose access to that too.

Basically, you need a minimum sub at £18/month or pay £10/month and Sky will let you use the recording features with the free channels.

The other option is to get rid of the Sky box altogether and get a Freesat+ box. Obviously there is the initial outlay, but there are no further charges.
    Dave. :wave:
  • hi Dave
    thanks for that,someone had said this before but wanted to check..
    so this freesat+ i can use with my sky dish!!
    will i need to do anything else of is it just plug it in and go!! not very up with all this tecnical stuff!!
    any ideas the best place to get one !!
    thanks
    christine
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    One thing you should ask the previous owner
    did the cancel the account before or after they unplugged the sky+ box?

if it was unplugged then you might be lucky and still have SKY+ function active on the box.

if not then you're out of luck....

I had a sky+ box that I thought was not working and sat unpowered for 6 months (it was unplugged a week before i cancelled my Sky subscription) and I got a Humax FreesatHD box instead...

I plugged the Sky box back in with the cancelled card last week and I've got the free unencrypted channels (except five)

AND SKY+ function!!!! I can still record for free!!!!!! ^__^
    Wooo!!!!!

They only send the "cancel SKY+" signal to the card for 2 months or so after you cancel the contract, if you can wait you're in luck ^_^
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I wonder if there is any way to "unlock" a sky plus box so that it can record freesat channels?

It certainly seems a bit "mean" if Sky make unlocking impossible as anyone who gets a subsidised sky box is already locked in paying sky for a full year, during which time sky would have made enough profit to pay for the cost of the subsidised box.

This would be a bit like buying a mobile phone and then not being able to unlock it, even though the subsidised handset is paid for via by being commited to a fixed term of line rental.
  • d42mat
    d42mat Posts: 48 Forumite
    If you still have the dish on the wall with wires connected you can -

1 - Pay Sky £20 for a card that will give you all the free channels (slightly more channels than freeview) but you need to use your old sky or sky plus box. And cannot record.

2 - Just get one of these and get the same channels as option 1 BUT be able to record - johnlewis.com/230556784/Product.aspx

3 - just get a freeview recorder if you can receive it in your area.

Matt
  • boliston wrote: »
    I wonder if there is any way to "unlock" a sky plus box so that it can record freesat channels?

It certainly seems a bit "mean" if Sky make unlocking impossible as anyone who gets a subsidised sky box is already locked in paying sky for a full year, during which time sky would have made enough profit to pay for the cost of the subsidised box.

This would be a bit like buying a mobile phone and then not being able to unlock it, even though the subsidised handset is paid for via by being commited to a fixed term of line rental.

im sure there is one particular sky box that can be modified to use the record facility withoutt a subscription but it as to be a certain one.
  • pcombo
    pcombo Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Care to share this, my sky got cut off today trying to charge me £400 pfft.
  • pcombo
    pcombo Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    bah i love the look of this. but i only got a SKY+HD amstrad.

And im not paying £250 for a freesatHD recorder nooooo way.
  • I have upgraded from sky+ to sky HD.

I wanted to know if I could use my old sky+ box in another room, together with a TV with built in Freeview, purely for digital recording of freeview channels? I don't want to subscribe to sky multiroom, as I don't want to record sky channels, only freeview.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport