PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Free food at work

I work in a small office that has catered meetings once or twice a week. It's surprising how much food is left over. I don't mean plate clearings, I mean stuff that is not even put out for people to eat and binned instead.

I got friendly with the lady who organises the lunches and she now lets me know when there's stuff left over and even wraps it up for me! I get quite a lot of 'wedding buffet' stuff like vol-au-vents, quiche, chicken legs etc, all for free - so it pays to check if the same thing happens at your office.

Of course I get the inevitable '!!!!!!' comments and 'don't we pay you enough then' etc etc but I don't care! :rotfl:
'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp

Comments

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well done Austin, Mrs MATH regularly hosts these kinds of meetings and makes sure she has 'first bagzies' on the left-overs. Being Leicester these meetings always have a good selection on Indian food. - Our favourite:j
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    That's a great tip, Austin.

Wouldn't work at my dh's place of work, but I'm sure there are others on here who could also benefit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mu OH used to run a health club attached to a hotel with a very adventurous chef. The health club kitchen was obviously not as busy as this guy was used to, so in his "spare" time he used to experiment with new recipes. I was forever going to pick him up from work & finding him just sitting down to a plateful of something new in his capacity of "official taster". As if by magic a second plateful would usually appear infront of me too, it was fab!
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Oh the good old days. Many's the free feast we used to have after meetings in the office. We got used to the sandwiches being a little dried out - free is free after all! Some of the little pastry savouries were delish, but the best of all were the chicken goujons which were often still quite warm, and went like, well like warm chicken goujons :D .

There was always a big plate of fruit too, and none of the meeting delegates ever seemed to take this, except maybe a few grapes, so we were kept well supplied with bananas, apples and oranges.

Once we were helping clear up, and there was masses of tempting stuff left, when to our dismay the Personnel Manager came in to chivvy us up, piled the serving platters into the back of her car (the meeting was in a different building) and disappeared, leaving us weeping into the empty coffee cups :mad: .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Queenie
    :j I can now eat my words :rotfl:

Went to the fridge this morning and a white plastic tub had materialised :eek:
    Dh had planted it there in the wee hours.

Seems there was something on at work and the food was going to be thrown away. He bagged a tupperware full of CHEESES!! :j

Oh and the bonus ... I've got a "free" plastic container too :D

Still won't be a "reliable" source though :( This is the first time in 14yrs LOL
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Very funny thread here where this topic was covered back in August 2003 by Tim, the Board Guide for the Gambling Board.

Its always nice to read the old threads again ;)
  • Queenie
    PMSL!!!! :rotfl:

Brilliant!
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    :mad: my 14 yr old son did work experience for Tesco Metro in March. Connexions arranged it for him, and the paperwork claimed he would have full access to the staff canteen and subsidised meals.

When he arrived, he was told he needed a card which he had toput credit on to use the canteen, which would take toolong to arrive as he was there for only 2 weeks.

So for 2 weeks, it cost me £2 a day to buy him lunch from another source.

I did figure that they would proabbly make up for this at th end of work experience, but he didn't even get so much as a thank you, never mind anything else.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • Trollydolly_2
    Trollydolly_2 Posts: 407 Forumite
    I work for an airline that gives food to there passengers WHAT?? AT NO EXTRA CHARGE?? I hear u cry!

Yep an no extra charge you can have fresh filled croissants or tasty sandwiches. They are changing these choices next month to chicken salads and fruit etc (more healthy options) BUT we have at least 25 meals left after every flight!, I do 4 flights a day!!!!

So i will never starve!! We are allowed to take whats left home with us! I should start selling them at £1 each to offices on my way home!!! lol Corrr that would be £100 a day!! Bloomin eck! I really might start doing that lol

NB I WILL NOT DO THAT AS HEALTH AND SAFETY LAWS WOULD NOT ALLOW IT BUT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA IF LEGAL
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,862 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Very funny thread here where this topic was covered back in August 2003 by Tim, the Board Guide for the Gambling Board.

Its always nice to read the old threads again ;)

as soon as I read this thread it reminded me of Tim's
    it's one of Martin's favourites and linked from Chat tips Gold too :D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure