PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to repair holes in T-shirt fabric?

I'm wearing my lovely new top that I got in the sales and it was the only one in the shop, and I have just snagged it and made a 2mm hole right over my B***!!!. Is there any way to repair it would invisible menders be able to do it (if I found one - do they still exist? How do you know they're there? HAR har)
Just call me Nodwah the thread killer

Comments

• Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Oh dear Nod, what a shame, if you can get any thread the same colour as the top, you may be able to sew it that way, try the yellow pages for menders, or your local dry cleaners.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • GreenNinja
    GreenNinja Posts: 601 Forumite
    Hiya Nodwah,

I have a couple of tshirts that I got mega reduced cos of small holes.

What you need is a small square of iron on interfacing, stuff that you would normally use to line a waistband.

Pin the square to the reverse of the tshirt with the sticky side to the fabric obviously and iron very carefully with tip of iron on the patch. Once you can see part of it is stuck remove the pins and iron gently so its smooth. In this way you get an almost invisible repair.

XX
  • That is so annoying, it happened to me once as I was determined to wear the top that day, I'm not much of a sewer but I found an old baby gro which was a similer colour and made a little patch to sew on. It did the trick, hope this helps.
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Thanks guys, I've got some interfacing so I'll try that and even if it's a bit okay I'll just wear a cardi over it!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    My 5yo ds decided to jump off the table earlier and catch the back of his tshirt and made a small hole/rip in it about 10p size. I wouldn't normally bother and just give it to the rag bin but it's his favourite top and fairly new. He was quite upset :( is there any way to fix it without it looking too obvious?
  • sjr13
    sjr13 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Could you get a motif, such as a number like on a football top and sew it over the top of the hole?

My cat ripped a hole in a thin little cotton top I've got, I just bought a couple of butterfly motifs and sewed them on, sometimes you can get iron on ones for speed.
  • Hannah_10
    Hannah_10 Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2010 at 9:07PM
    Magic iron on stuff, hang on will try a search see if I can find it, you go it on the inside and it wont look too bad. Failing that a cool patch might be an option.

EDIT: Nope, can't find, sorry. I know what I mean and so would any habadashery/ sewing shop, just sorry I can't better show you.
    I refuse to be afraid of the big bad wolf, spiders, or debt collection agencies; one of them's not real and the other two are powerless without my fear.
    (Ok, one of them is powerless, spiders can be nasty.)

As of the last count I have cleared
    [STRIKE]23.16%[/STRIKE] 22.49% of my debt. :(
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    If not in an area that it's practical to patch I would try fabric repair powder from Ebay/ haberdashers /Betterware / Kleeneze. Sometimes you might need a rag of similar fabric colour/type if it's a hole rather than a rip.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    you can buy motifs (iron on ones) in haberdashers and on internet. or darn the hole using sewing cotton. or you can use the iron on Wonderweb (for hems) and back it with a small peice of tshirt from the rag bag. or just accept there is a hole in that tshirt and let him wear it. dont the kids of today LIKE holey and ripped clothes?
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My 5yo ds decided to jump off the table earlier and catch the back of his tshirt and made a small hole/rip in it about 10p size. I wouldn't normally bother and just give it to the rag bin but it's his favourite top and fairly new. He was quite upset :( is there any way to fix it without it looking too obvious?

If you have a sewing machine you can 'embroider' over the rip in zig-zag stitch.

Otherwise wundaweb but be careful not to stick the t-shirt to the ironing board!
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure