What to do when a partner/spouse dies.

Comments

• From experience (my mum a single parent died suddenly from cancer last year) the MOST important thing to know immediately before any paperwork IS WHAT THEY WANTED. I was being asked did she want a burial or cremation, did she say where she wanted it etc etc and I didn't know as we hadn't gotten round to discussing it. (She had been given at least 6 months but it ended up being only 2, so the plan to discuss it nearer the time never happened). Don't just put it in your Will and consider it done as the Will may not be found in time.

Paperwork;
    It's a nightmare trying to track everything down. If you can keep all financial paperwork in 1 place so it can be found it makes life a lot easier. We spent weeks chasing it all down...

Since then I have created a spreadsheet with all my money details including bank accounts, savings, shares, pensions and any life insurance or accidental death cover you might have, contact telephone numbers, reference numbers and addresses.

It is important to make sure your Executors know they have been nominated and you advise them where your will is. It took us days to find the will, luckily I was right on who I thought the Executors were. Since her death I have made my own Will as it has made me realise how important they are. I also ensure an Executor knows where I keep it.

Finally, if it's a sudden death (as in our case) there will need to be an autopsy and this will delay the death certificate for several days which can make things difficult with banks and freezing accounts etc.

Hope this helps
    :hello: TTC since 11/09
  • My dad died suddently at Christmas (1986). Mum and dad had their own accounts and luckily a joint one. My dad's accounts were frozen straight away and had to wait until probate, which took several months. If it wasn't for the joint account, I'm not sure how my mum would have survived. On registering my dad's death, I requested many copies of the death certificate. This was really useful as everyone needed an original, a photocopy would not do. This saved a lot of time and upset. My mother, sister and I also made a huge list of people that needed to be informed and things returned, e.g. passport, driving license, medical card, etc. One of the most upsetting things is that names and addresses on mailing lists can be sold on. Still to this day my mother will get unsolicited post in my dad's name. Perhaps someone will know a quicker way to remove names from mailing lists. I was in my early 20's at the time and it had a huge impact on me. My husband and I have talked about our last wishes, have a joint savings account, taken out modest life cover and have made wills. We both know how to access account numbers, passport details, etc so that should the worst happen the surviving partner would be able to cope.
  • Hi have been through this when my father in law died recently best advice I was given was to make a template letter and save it, I agree get extra copies of the death certificate and ask the funeral director if you need to make an appointment to see the registra. remember if the person no longer there was a member of any union or company let them know sometimes they will make a one off payment towards funeral expenses. new to the forum side of this so sorry if this was a long winded reply
  • emg22 if you go to the post office webb site there is a link to a site i think its the mailing preference scheme you can register a death of a loved one with them so you should stop any further mail shots hope this helps
  • Another thing I have come across is when you do register a death, there is (or was in my case, for John and my dad), a form to send off to stop unsolicited mail. This came with a pack which contained the certificate, along with a DSS booklet stating what to do when a death occurs in England or Wales. I must say that the form I sent off for my dad DID stop MOST mail to him, for this I was grateful. I haven't sent of John's yet, but will do asap.

I must also reiterate what UKJubilee says too. When my Mum died 7 years ago, my father, brother and I organised a cremation as we didn't know there was a will. The bank phoned us 3 weeks later with a will, at the top it said 'I wish my body to be buried'.

So please, please tell someone of your wishes, you only get the one chance.

Stormy
    :j Stormybay
  • Not sure if anyone has mentioned these yet but a Deed of Variation can be very useful. It allows the will of the deceased to be altered, any time up to two years after their death, so long as all beneficiaries are in agreement. It can be a very useful tool for changing who gets what, especially so far as inheritance tax goes. For example when my father died he left everything to my mum, but in doing so he completely wasted his inheritance tax allowance of £260,000 (approx.). With the deed of variation we were able to distribute some of the estate, meaning that when my mum dies her estate will not be taxed so heavilly.

Little known, but could save, literally, a fortune.
  • shazbig
    shazbig Posts: 83 Forumite
    A family member died just before Christmas this year, he had not got around to making a will. He and his partner were not married. His partner is not allowed to apply to deal with his estate. There is a list of people who can here -

- http://www.clsdirect.org.uk/legalhelp/leaflet10.jsp?section=8&lang=en

This is very stressful for the partner, as she is not able to sort out the finances, etc.

I don't really want to go into too much personal detail on here, but i vowed that as part of my New Year resolution i would advise as many people as possible to make a will, and possibly avoid anyone the pain and complications currently being suffered.

I have verbally spoken with lots of people i know (especially those who live together and are not married) and now hope i can also nudge people via this thread to make a will.

I would also advise they you speak amongst your nearest and dearest regarding your final wishes, maybe write them down. Do you want a burial or cremation? Do you want anything else specific? A hymn/song, Flowers or a donation to a charity? Do you want a specific type of service? All these things will make it easier for those left behind, nothing is worse than trying to guess these things and the uncertainty of whether you have done the right thing or not.

Shaz
  • As most have pointed out a Will is a definite item in planning for the future, something me and my mum just discussed but can anyone recommend where to go to get one made (without being ripped off - maybe Martin can look into this).
    I've seen several websites/companies which claim to make a basic will for around £20-£30 i.e. you complete online details and they send it out to you to sign. I understand a solicitor charges around £100. Are the ready made wills any good or legal or do I have to go to a solicitor.
    My mum wants a will which leaves her assets to me and both my kids (3 way split) etc Has anyone here got any recommendations

Thanks for any advice and Keep up the excellent work

S
    Triple S :beer:
  • A Useful Book
    When my mother died 3 years ago I bought a bought called `Death and Probate` -a self help guide to managing procedures. It`s by Gordon Bowley & costs £9.99. It answers every thinkable question & I have since lent it to 2 friends.
    A safety precaution is to have a Power of Attorney in place in case someone becomes mentally incapacitated, especially if you live alone.
    This is not an easy subject to think about but the more one can do whilst alive, make a will, plan your funeral, give details of financial bodies etc to a reliable relative the easier it is for those left behind at a time of mental stress & sadness.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I would also advise anyone that doesn't intend to formalise their relationship (marriage) to make private provision in case of death.

The DWP do not recognise "common law" and no widow/ers benefits will be payable, no matter how long you have been together.

If there are children, then the surviving partner may be able to claim Income Support, but there is no automatic right to either the £2000 bereavment payment, or to a widow/ers allowance.

It was thought this may have changed when gay partnerships were recognised, but it hasn't, and many people think that it doesn't make any difference if you are not married..

It does. :(

Lin
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure