Clutch pedal when starting car

Bravehearted_2
Bravehearted_2 Posts: 669 Forumite
edited 4 March 2012 at 6:28PM in Motoring
Are there some cars esp. US cars that require clutching down, otherwise wont start?

I see people doing/saying this. I know I dont.

Or is it some old school method of driving - like shifting down through ALL gears :mad: ?

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,

I think it may be to stop car jumping forward or back on starting, incase it was still in gear.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When you press the clutch it removes the connection between the engine and the gearbox, so it slightly reduces the amount of friction and so makes it easier for the electric starter motor to drive the engine round until the petrol/diesel starts igniting.

It's also good practice because in case the car has been left in gear.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, my car (an Audi) does this - there are more and more cars with this feature now. I guess its a safety feature to stop the car moving forward if the car is still in gear.
  • Notmyrealname
    Notmyrealname Posts: 4,003 Forumite
    Its to cater for the stupid.
  • flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Yep, our old chrysler did this and would not start unless the clutch was depressed. I always depress now as like others have said it reduces strain on the starter and ensures the vehicle is not left in gear
  • dggar
    dggar Posts: 670
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Do they not teach drivers to check the gear shift lever is in neutral before switching on the ignition any more? (and that the hand brake is engaged.)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I had an Opel Astra on hire in Spain last week and you had to depress the clutch to start.
    My Megane requires a foot on the brake.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    BMs don't start without the clutch depressed.
  • Obukit
    Obukit Posts: 670 Forumite
    Had a Mercedes A class with this last week, not a big problem but you can bet at some stage the microswitch will wear out and that one stupid switch will strand you in the middle of nowhere.
  • Horseunderwater
    Horseunderwater Posts: 3,406
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Read the booklet that comes with your actual car and find out the recomended starting procedure. Not every car should have clutch pressed in. Mine should not. It is one of the reasons why you hear many drivers having problems starting a car in the first place as they get into a habit of doing what they think they should do and wear out parts that were they operated correctly would last longer if they bothered to read the flippin booklet first. My car citroen berlingo 2000 model. OH has a fiesta diesel and most diesels used to need the coil light on dash to go out first, not his fiesta. He read instructions! But we think previous owner did not, hence we had some injector problems 2 years ago and a rather large bill.
    However, many older cars can and will start better by pressing in clutch pedal, but if manual says no, knock out of gear first, then start it. I leave mine in gear as drive has a slope down to road. Added safety. And I know more than many female drivers would or do as I am a bus driver who has had many years experience of engines, clutches and other things that can and do go wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure