Anybody know how to remove silicone sealer ?

You know, it's the stuff that you seal round the bath and shower.

I need to reseal the bath and shower, but how do you get the old stuff off without damaging the bath etc? Anybody any ideas.

[glow=green,2,300]Fester[/glow]

Comments

• aussielle
    aussielle Posts: 705 Forumite
    use a razorblade..........but lightly goes it and it'll come off neatly
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mr divadee says you can buy something called 'evo stick adhesive remover' from most diy/plumbing places but you may have to ask at the tills for it as they keep it under lock and key.

Apparently it is quite potent stuff so the normal safety rules apply, goggles, gloves etc...

HTH ;D
  • Thanks for your help, if anybody is interested, I found this at Screwfix

Now on to the moneysaving... discount codes anybody ??

[glow=green,2,300]Fester[/glow]
  • philc_2
    philc_2 Posts: 113
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've had mixed results with the remover stuff in a similar looking pot to the stuff you linked to. Can recommend the razor blade solution and you can possibly get little plastic holders to make the job easier - goodness knows where though, I have one that was a free gift with 'Practical Householder' magazine circa 1975 (shortly after I was born in fact). Also have used a fat pair of pliers to hold the blade and do the same thing pretty successfully.

Absolutely the business on ceramic - have to be a little more careful on GRP stuff so you don't scratch it.

Phil ;)
  • R013
    R013 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Once you have got rid of most of the sealer then Acetone disolves the rest a doddle, Father-in-law gets it so I don't know a source.

Also dont forget to tape the edges when you re-apply. All the excess goes onto the tape and then you get a nice clean edge when you remove the tape, also allows you to go over the sealer several times to get a nice finish. B&Q sell pink (thin) and yellow (thick) low tack masking tape that has a really good edge,and will stick to baths and tiles but other wise is utterly useless on painted walls, falls off under its own weight!!

We have a ptfe rod with a shaped end that is just the right shape, and more consistent that a finger. What ever you use, use plenty of water to get the finish smooth without pulling the sealant along with you.
  • Recommend razor//stanley blade, especially on ceramic. Get an end and just pull, its just like elastic and with a little luck will rip off.

You can get acetone at the chemists, also it is used in some nail varnish removers. But test it first on plastics, as it can melt some, being a solvent.

HTHs Scat
    Moi....? ;)

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
    Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
    Views I express are mine alone, and not official ones of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Don't forget to fill the bath with water before putting fresh sealant on. Otherwise the weight of water will crack your nice new seal when you have a bath! ;D ;D
    Kirsten
  • I needed to find this out not so long back and trawled the INTERNET and found:

a guide a found on a website called CheapSealants.com
    How to remove silicone sealant

If removing just a small amount of silicone to tidy up where you have been applying it, you could try using a stanley knife blade (only use the knife blade when the silicone has cured), but do be careful not to cut yourself.

However if you are removing all the silicone before resealing then the best thing for you to try is a SILICONE REMOVER. once you have removed the majority with a stanley blade or a hard piece of plastic as this wont scratch

you can a get a cheap one at screwfix :):T THE NO NONSENSE BRAND of theirs
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    R013 wrote: »
    Once you have got rid of most of the sealer then Acetone disolves the rest a doddle, Father-in-law gets it so I don't know a source.

Also dont forget to tape the edges when you re-apply. All the excess goes onto the tape and then you get a nice clean edge when you remove the tape, also allows you to go over the sealer several times to get a nice finish. B&Q sell pink (thin) and yellow (thick) low tack masking tape that has a really good edge,and will stick to baths and tiles but other wise is utterly useless on painted walls, falls off under its own weight!!

We have a ptfe rod with a shaped end that is just the right shape, and more consistent that a finger. What ever you use, use plenty of water to get the finish smooth without pulling the sealant along with you.

It can also dissolve the plastic the silicone is stuck to, and damage the seals in the drains if you swill it away in enough quantity. I use the silicone remover from screwfix.
  • tstein
    tstein Posts: 1 Newbie
    Like everyone said - really the best thing to do is to cut off as much as you can with a razor blade, then treat the residue with a chemical.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure