Benefits situation for a pregnant student?

2»

Comments

• Loopy_Girl
    Loopy_Girl Posts: 4,444 Forumite
    Pssst wrote: »
    i wonder if the op could comment further on the father. Is he known? if so,whats his take on it? Will she be naming him as the father to the relevant authorities and will his name appear on the birth cert? Is abortion an option?

She asked for help to help her friend and these questions are wholly inappropriate. You may pay your taxes but it doesn't give you the right to ask extremely personal and quite crass questions.

And for the record, the mother doesn't have to name the father to any 'relevant authorities' if she chooses not to.

You are making the assumption that she has been a silly girl and not taken her pill that night. God forbid if it came back that this pregnancy came about in any other manner than a consensual manner.

I'm disgusted by the questions you have posted.:mad:

And you support children every day through the 'tax system'. It's called WTC. Are you going to question every recipient of that as well in the manner you have used?
  • Loopy_Girl wrote: »
    She asked for help to help her friend and these questions are wholly inappropriate. You may pay your taxes but it doesn't give you the right to ask extremely personal and quite crass questions.

And for the record, the mother doesn't have to name the father to any 'relevant authorities' if she chooses not to.

You are making the assumption that she has been a silly girl and not taken her pill that night. God forbid if it came back that this pregnancy came about in any other manner than a consensual manner.

I'm disgusted by the questions you have posted.:mad:

And you support children every day through the 'tax system'. It's called WTC. Are you going to question every recipient of that as well in the manner you have used?

:T :T :T :T
    Having a coke with you
    is even more fun than going to San Sebastian, Irun, Hendaye, Biarritz, Bayonne
    or being sick to my stomach on the Travesera de Gracia in Barcelona
  • First I'd like to say im disgusted with the morons above talking about abortions and how she shouldnt live off of the taxpayers money! this lady we are talking about is about to finish University and will then be putting alot back into the economy with a good job after acheiving a professional qualification university is hard work so give a little credit, do you loud mouths have degrees? i suspect not! secondly this lady is a student not a bum or junkie maybe u shud moan about bums and junkies living off of taxpayers money instead!
    Third some advice for the loan lady: student loan should not be means tested therefore she should definetly receive some housing benefit i belive up to half of her rent should be paid for in a 2 bedroomed flat or house, she wont pay council tax til after uni obviously, she should quality for child tax credits and possibly Maternity Allowance if she has worked part-time for 26 weeks out of 66 weeks leading up to due date of baby? if she doesnt quality for MA she should apply for Incapacity Benefit instead!
    heres the link for the £190 which provided baby is due after after 9th she WILL receive
    http://campaigns.direct.gov.uk/money4mum2be/index.html
    if she qualifies for child tax she should receive 500 sure start maternity grant, this can also be applied for after birth which was what I done. Also if she informs her director of studies that she is pregnant he will generally not monitor attendance rate as closely as usual, I had loadsa time off uni during pregnancy and birth but still managed to pass exams so uni dont mind, saas give her extra grants and stuff too but might be too late as she is in final year, i would contact them just in case,
    hope this helps and ignore all the jealous people in here who are probably jealous becoz they cant find anyone to go near them nm have kids with them
    Victoria XxX:rotfl:
  • affordmylife
    affordmylife Posts: 1,224
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    just wanted to say good luck to your friend in what will be a difficult time for her.

and i also think it is admirable that she has opted to take responsibility rather than the other option.

peace and health to her and her baby.
  • Hi

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice to my curent situation:

My partner is 6 months pregnant, and recently completed her degree asnd is due to graduate in Decemeber at which point she will be 7 months gone.

We have recently enquired as to teh benefits avaiable and other than those mentioned below e.g. £500 sure start and the one-off £190, she is not entitled to any further support, whilst we are together. If we were not living together I beleive she would be eligable for a number of benefits, inline with what a single-mother would be entitled to receive.

My partner did work for many years prior to returning to full-time education, albeit it was over five years ago and as a result this does not qualify her for any sort of JSA or SMP.

Is there something that I am missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Numbers Man - are you a student or are you working?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Vader123
    Vader123 Posts: 1,104
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Numbersman, I would start your own thread.
    If we were not living together I beleive she would be eligable for a number of benefits, inline with what a single-mother would be entitled to receive

Yes, but she is not. Thats a bit like saying "if she was disabled she would get DLA".

Vader
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Hi

My partner is 6 months pregnant, and recently completed her degree asnd is due to graduate in Decemeber at which point she will be 7 months gone.

We have recently enquired as to teh benefits avaiable and other than those mentioned belowe.g. £500 sure start and the one-off £190, she is not entitled to any further support, whilst we are together. If we were not living together I beleive she would be eligable for a number of benefits, inline with what a single-mother would be entitled to receive.

My partner did work for many years prior to returning to full-time education, albeit it was over five years ago and as a result this does not qualify her for any sort of JSA or SMP.

She will be entitled to benefits once the baby is born. Child benefit, child tax credits, working tax credits if you still work.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • sp1987
    sp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    Hi

We have recently enquired as to teh benefits avaiable and other than those mentioned below e.g. £500 sure start and the one-off £190, she is not entitled to any further support, whilst we are together. If we were not living together I beleive she would be eligable for a number of benefits, inline with what a single-mother would be entitled to receive.

I have graduated from uni since becoming pregnant and unfortunately as I have not been in employment for that period I am not entitled to any maternity payments either. It is fair though, I have not paid in recently so am not annoyed I'm not getting anything!

The problem is post a certain time it is really near impossible to look purposefully for a job being visibly pregnant (even if you are capable of taking something).

Just life sometimes. From my point of view having a partner is worth any amount I could receive for being without him and claiming as a single person.

Best of luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport