Rent question - No DSS?

2»

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't think anybody has yet mentioned having a pre-determined rent assessment made, which will tell both you and them exactly how much of the rent they're willing to pay in HB. Call your local council today and have them send somebody out to do this, as well as asking for HB/CTB forms, otherwise your claim will get held up if they have to arrange this themselves at a later date, and it will need to be done before a HB grant can be awarded.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• If you are a private landlord renting out property, it is stated from your insurance company no DSS or asylum seekers (as this drastically increases premiums).
    If you were to go ahead without telling your landlord, it will turn his buildings insurance invalid.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    silvertoes wrote:
    If you are a private landlord renting out property, it is stated from your insurance company no DSS or asylum seekers (as this drastically increases premiums).
    If you were to go ahead without telling your landlord, it will turn his buildings insurance invalid.
    Doesn't this depend on what the landlord's insurance company's terms & conditions are? I always thought no DSS was to do with Housing Benefit claims often taking weeks if not months to work out and landlords couldn't be doing with waiting for rent all the time.

As someone has said, have a look at your tenancy agreement, does it say anything about "if" you claim DSS benefits.

The thing with not saying anything is that it could be breach of contract on your part. It would be a good idea to check with Citizens Advice and see what they have to say.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • jezza1O1
    jezza1O1 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Ultimately a landlord can evict you for no reason at all, subject to the notice agreement in tenancy agreement - often 6 months initial and then 2 months after that.

Most landlords say no social cos they are concerned they arent going to collect their rent, as long as he is getting it though he wont mind - assuming you have otherwise been an ideal tennant why would he take the risk of having to find someone else.

I wouldnt worry about it if I were you, concentrate on keeping up the rent payments and getting yourself up and running again.

Best of luck :).
  • Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    often 6 months initial and then 2 months after that.

If you have an assured shorthold tenency agreement with this landlord and it's your first tenency with him, he can't evict you for six months unless you are in b reach of contract, so read your contract carefully. If he tries to evict you he will have to take you to court.

The above is the law the law.

If you live with your landlord the above rule does not apply.
  • sertav
    sertav Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would put an application for Housing + Council Tax Benefit immediately, ahead of becoming unemployed.

Hopefully it would be processed before dismissal. Benefit levels would take into account current earnings so would probably quite low, but once unemployment becomes a reality go back to your council and report a change in circumstances. Pressure them hard to adjust benefit level promptly on the basis of hardship and potential eviction due to arrears!

Also, if and when you become unemployed, claim jobseekers allowance as soon as you possibly can!

Simultaneously, make an immediate claim for a crisis loan. If I remember correctly it won't cover rent so ask for other living expenses instead.
    5p savings box: £01.60
    £2 savings box: £12.00
    1 & 2p savings box: too many too count! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills