Sunflow Electric Heating Systems

I am considering asking the UK agent to come round and cost out a new replacement system.This system is based on a German design Electrical radiator.Clay filled and specified as very efficient.
Has anyone any positive feedback from this type of heating system at all?

Coke

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

Well the good news first - they are very efficient. In fact they are 100% efficient. However so is every other electrical heater from a £10 fan heater to my granny's old 1/2/3 bar fire.

It is absolutely certain that they will give out EXACTLY the same amount of heat, for the same running cost, as any other electrical heater. That holds true if they are filled with clay, water, oil, or platinum or custard!

If you go to the LPG & Heating forum(in Utilities) you will find several threads on similar electric radiators 'systems' with all manner of extravagent claims.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2148437

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2124053

There was another radiator system filled with clay - called Elke and also made in Germany - and it would not surprise me at all if these were the same item re-branded.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1145599&highlight=clay

That also got short shrift on these forums.

There is no point in re-hashing the same points made in the other threads.

I note the brochure doesn't give a price list - one might ask why not? If they need a surveyor, it is a fair bet they will be expensive - very expensive!

P.S.
    Almost every thread on these type of heaters is by a first time poster!
  • You've come to the wrong place for positive thoughts on electrical heating. You will get plenty of ill-informed hearsay, lies and stuff copied & pasted from google though.

EDIT. I see it's appeared already as I was typing.:D
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2011 at 10:00PM
    You've come to the wrong place for positive thoughts on electrical heating. You will get plenty of ill-informed hearsay, lies and stuff copied & pasted from google though.

EDIT. I see it's appeared already as I was typing.:D

What's appeared doesn't seem to me to be "ill-informed hearsay, lies and stuff copied & pasted from google", TBH quite the reverse.

Now if the advice had been "Britain has a super-insulated housing stock, like Germany for example, ideal for highly controlled electric heating at daytime rates", then that would be "ill-informed, lies".

But that wasn't the advice posted.

Typical prices for "similar" products can be found in a price-list here...

http://www.sukaelectroheating.co.uk/

Given a choice between a supplier brave enough to post prices and a "double glazing" type quotation, I know what I'd choose.

And a note to the OP. Forum rules ask that I be "nice to newbies", so I will keep an open mind. In return I hope you will post some prices.
  • And on it goes.............
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

Well the good news first - they are very efficient. In fact they are 100% efficient. However so is every other electrical heater from a £10 fan heater to my granny's old 1/2/3 bar fire.

It's gotten to the point with rising fuel prices, and falling goods prices that heat-pumps have gotten to very short payoff times. Certainly better than the expensive heater of the week.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170677687447 - for example. (not dealt with this seller)
    Yes, it's 800 quid up-front.
    But it will more than halve your heating bills, if you're heating on non-cheap-rate electricity.

(There are heatpumps costing around half this, that will work acceptably for those in the south)
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 November 2011 at 11:07PM
    Cokecolmer wrote: »
    I am considering asking the UK agent to come round and cost out a new replacement system.This system is based on a German design Electrical radiator.Clay filled and specified as very efficient.
    Has anyone any positive feedback from this type of heating system at all?

Coke

Again welcome to the forum Cokecolmer, there are many threads that cover your subject, you could start here with - this one

Their claim of :

No massive upheaval to get it installed No boilers or pipework No floorboards up - No holes in the wall There is NO servicing No replacement parts No dust No workmen to rely on - (ever waited for someone to turn up?) No loss of energy up the flue or chimney No long waiting periods for heat No rewiring No more clanging of pipes No more air locks, No tanks No water, No oil and No gas No more danger of leakage - EVER Simply plug your heater in - Job done!

Is true .. .. but its also true of a £10 convector from ALDI, but then you can .. .. buy Spam from ALDI too. ALDI of course publish their prices up front and don't structure their sales pitch behind closed doors away from scrutiny :D

Why do you feel this system is efficient Cokecolmer ?, there are really well informed people in the forum that would be helpful and debate this with you to help your understanding of the manufacturers claims in general and the issue of efficiency in particular.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • The patterns of consumption and product knowledge on the part of the buyer, suggest that the buyers of these products would largely be made up from what I loosely describe as the elderly and vulnerable. Its my assumption that the elderly and vulnerable [ of any age ] would never agree that they are [ see themselves as ] being taken advantage of ~ but ~ their awareness of deception and their capacity to cope with consumer abuse and bad business practices is universally recognised as a social evil in this or any country.

The selling techniques of all those selling 'snake oil' heating systems all have one thing in common, they do it behind your own closed front door, away from scrutiny, a technique from start to finish takes 40 minutes or so and the vulnerable purchaser is :

- three thousand quid lighter
    - has bought 'pretty looking' but ineffective heating
    - has signed a legal document out of the sight of others
    - has been sold it on the basis of lies and exaggerations
    - bought into the spiel with a lack of awareness about consumer rights
    - has been misled and subjected to high pressure sales techniques
    - does not understand cancellation rights and cooling off periods
    - the goods sold to consumers being unsuitable for their needs or do not meet their requirements
    - of the £3.4 billion sold every year in the UK apart from the usual double glazing, a third of that total is mobility products
    - such as stair-lifts wheelchairs power-scooters etc

Every decent minded person and group in the UK including Government, the OFT and CAB have published guidance on how to avoid this slithering sales practice. I am genuinely concerned that seemingly all, yes all purveyors of these low energy alchemy products insist on individual one to one interviews in the home of the elderly or vulnerable.

Here is a direct quote [ including their use of the CAPS lock ] from the company mentioned above """we cannot stress enough that you take advantage of our FREE, NO OBLIGATION technical survey"""

Yes, of course you do, how kind of you, you give me a free 0800 number and send a man hundreds of miles through the weather at your expense out of the goodness of you heart because I am vulnerable and elderly / and / or disabled or ill, what a sweet socially caring company you are .. .. :A
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Cokecolmer wrote: »
    I am considering asking the UK agent to come round and cost out a new replacement system.

Got a date yet? As a "newbie" don't forget that posting for advice is a two-way process and we're all eager to find out the price. If only because it helps to give sound advice to others;).
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    jalexa wrote: »
    Got a date yet? As a "newbie" don't forget that posting for advice is a two-way process and we're all eager to find out the price. If only because it helps to give sound advice to others;).

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a sunflow salesman at his house every day of the year!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I wouldn't be surprised if he has a sunflow salesman at his house every day of the year!

The good thing about these type of threads is that any(genuine) prospective owner will arrive here with a GOOGLE if they care to do any research.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure