what price for patio door

Options
hi folks

can anyone give me an idea of a good price for a upvc sliding patio door? chappy is coming to give me a quote tomorrow.
size is approx 5 1/2 foot wide by 6 1/2 foot high.
i would like white inside and woodgrain outside if possible.

also, the biggest consideration for me is how good is the door at keeping the heat in. what questions should i be asking about the glazing? does different glazing come with different u? rating? and what is a good rating?

thanks in advance
bockster
Please note, we've had to remove your signature because it was sh*te!

Comments

• mikeopvc
    mikeopvc Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anything between £800 - £1000 inc VAT fitted is a good price, anything below £800 needs questioning with regards to quality. The glazing should be minimum 20mm cavity creating a 28mm sealed unit with a U-value of no more than 1.8
    Argon gas filled units give a better U-value so try and haggle to include for this in the price but only after they have given the price.
    Also get at least 3 quotes.

Good luck
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Think about getting french doors instead of patio doors.

Patio doors are a little dated now & if you want to sell french would be more attractive to buyers.

Also loads of people walk into patio doors & bang their noses & faces.
  • bockster
    bockster Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    my worry is.... will there be something to tell me whether the units are argon filled or not?! and so i take it the lower the u value the better?

and yes, french doors have crossed my mind. should these be more or less than sliding doors?

thanks for the replies so far.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would think that they cost about the same, but French doors are more appealing IMO.
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bockster wrote: »
    my worry is.... will there be something to tell me whether the units are argon filled or not?! and so i take it the lower the u value the better?

and yes, french doors have crossed my mind. should these be more or less than sliding doors?

thanks for the replies so far.

They will prob cost more, especially if its a big opening (like mine:mad: ).

But they are fab in summer & I think safer too, as reg walking into.

I think I read somewhere they are harder to break into as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sliding doors and French doors cost the same at https://www.Screwfix.com :beer:
  • Peartree
    Peartree Posts: 788 Forumite
    Options
    My french doors were £1100 but also included windows above. I don't think it would have made any difference if I had gone for patio doors - they still have to make the doors to fit the opening. The price also depends on how much work is needed in the fitting - ie, how much brickwork needs removing, etc.

I think in my case it has improved the insulation, as the doors replaced an original window - but they have improved my quality of life immeasurably!
  • david69_2
    Options
    bockster wrote: »
    hi folks

can anyone give me an idea of a good price for a upvc sliding patio door? chappy is coming to give me a quote tomorrow.
    size is approx 5 1/2 foot wide by 6 1/2 foot high.
    i would like white inside and woodgrain outside if possible.

also, the biggest consideration for me is how good is the door at keeping the heat in. what questions should i be asking about the glazing? does different glazing come with different u? rating? and what is a good rating?

thanks in advance
    bockster
    I would go for french doors with a small opening like yours patios are better when you've got 7 to 8ft width
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    david69 wrote: »
    I would go for french doors with a small opening like yours patios are better when you've got 7 to 8ft width

French doors look great in a big opening. I think what you mean is patio doors are easier to get for a small opening (you can buy them off the peg, whereas big ones you can't).

Mine are 7 foot & look great, fantastic thrown wide open in the summer.
  • bockster
    bockster Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    thanks guys for all the input.

french doors are starting to sound very appealing, work involved should be minimal if made to fit the existing brickwork around the alluminium framed existing sliding door which measures at what looks like a standard 1800 by 2100mm.

another question about window fitting, what are all your experiances of the amount of mess made to decor/amount of repair/touch up required after having wondow fitters in? i now theres allways going to be some touch up required, just trying to gauge a standard.

thanks
    bockster
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure