Radiator - cold at the bottom but hot at the top

2»

Comments

• red40
    red40 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Putting my plumbers head on here. I think my first question would be, was this particular radiator like this before the drain down and flush, you had 12 months ago?
  • swebb
    swebb Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Yes, the problem was there before the work was carried out. It did improve things a bit though (previously pretty much stone cold) after the work was carried out.

However, a couple nights ago I turned off the rads downstairs and waited. I turned the 'bad rad' onto full. This then became very hot (although cool/warm at the bottom). I then put the other rads back on, but not fully. Eventually, I got the other rads to their usual temperature and the 'bad rad' to a hot level. So in the end, one rad has a lower setting on the thermostat whilst all the others are on full.

The rad in question could be hotter but it is a lot better than it was. It's still only cool at the bottom.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    swebb wrote: »
    I should have mentioned... just over 12 months ago the whole system was completely drained and flushed out. The liquid (don't know what it's called) was put into the system and so it shouldn't be clogged up... should it?

Was the system mearly drained and refilled, or did you flush all the rads out?

Imo take off the problem rad and flush it outside with a hosepipe to remove any sludge. Best of all have the system powerflushed.
  • Is there a wabsit that explains about draining and flushing central heating radiator systems ?
    Baby-Mechanic

The only reason I keep smiling is so that people wonder what I've been up to !!
  • Too_Bloo
    Too_Bloo Posts: 66
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This site might prove useful to you.

http://www.diydata.com/index.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income