PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A great books that helps save £££

I have just finished reading "Saving The Planet Without Costing The Earth" by Donnachadh McCarthy. It's in most large bookshops and costs £11.99, and is printed by https://www.fusionpress.co.uk.

It's a very "green" book, and a veritable goldmine of tips that can really save money.

A particularly unusual one is to buy a wind-up radio which after purchase will only cost a little elbow grease to run. And I might add it would be useful in case of powercuts.

There are also wind-up torchlights.

One question thought: Where do I buy these items? Advice gratefully accepted!
:)
Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.

Comments

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Ive seen both of these in Robert Dyas which is a hardware shop.They had the radios a little while ago for about £10.They have the freeplay radio in Argos for £35 its on page 910 of the new catalogue.

Edit
    found the torch too on their website the RAC wind up torch radio underneath the picture sounds good too and is cheaper and has a charger for your mobile
    here[img]chrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png[/img]
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    Bu**er, wrote a reply then deleted it! not clever... oh well, I have a wind up radio that I take with me when I go with OH for a picnic. So if you see someone (probably next summer) sitting in Kew Gardens with a fancy picinic rucksack a smug look because they got in for free and a wind up radio... that would be me! Enough boasting,

The radio is made by philips I think, it is only small and I got it for about £20 in John Lewis. One minute winding lasts about 30 mins, it will also take batteries but I can't see the point in that... maybe it is for the odd moment when your arms fall off... :D
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • culpepper wrote:
    Ive seen both of these in Robert Dyas which is a hardware shop.They had the radios a little while ago for about £10.

Good find, looks like they still have them:
    http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&productId=28685&langId=-1
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Kippsy wrote:
    Bu**er, wrote a reply then deleted it! not clever... oh well, I have a wind up radio that I take with me when I go with OH for a picnic. So if you see someone (probably next summer) sitting in Kew Gardens with a fancy picinic rucksack a smug look because they got in for free and a wind up radio... that would be me! Enough boasting,

The radio is made by philips I think, it is only small and I got it for about £20 in John Lewis. One minute winding lasts about 30 mins, it will also take batteries but I can't see the point in that... maybe it is for the odd moment when your arms fall off... :D

Seeing you in Kew Gardens? Not too far fetched, as I live in Acton and frequently travel to Kew/Richmond. Only 3 or 4 stops on the North London Line...
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had a wind up radio with a solar panel, don't think it ever got enough charge that way to do anything so I wouldn't bother. Also it had a big spring inside and eventually that 'went'.

I've now got one of the little Dyas radios, very happy with it. £9.99 last time I looked but I'm sure I saw it cheaper somewhere else - Wilkinson's maybe?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have one of the freeplay radios. It is the original one.

It is a little bit big but for what it is is worth while for when out in the garden. As it needs very little sun to work.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    Quasar...

probably no nore picnics this year, OH is a fair weather picnicer doesn't he understand the Brtishness of a picnic in November? Pouring rain... freezing cold... just thing, one bonus no ants or flies!!

Still keep an eye out for us, when we do go it is usually walking straight up from the palm house I think, near the lakey pond bit.... :D
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure