HELP !!!

I had it all set up before but just got a new TV and havent a clue

here goes, I have:

tv with 2 scart sockets
normal Sky digibox with 2 scart sockets
video with 2 scart sockets
dvd with at least one scart socket

and about 56 scart leads !!!

everything also has a socket for just the red and yellow pin lead thingys (sorry am not very technical)

with old tv i linked the sky, VCR and TV through scarts and used the red and yellow pin things for the DVD

i would like to be able to record both from sky and terrestrial
but even just from sky would be fab

PLEASE can anyone give me any ideas before i tear my hair out??

Comments

• gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You should be able to connect the video to the TV just through the aerial loop-through (just tune it in like a TV channel - play a video while you tune it so you know when you find the correct signal). Then, connect Sky and the DVD to the TV with Scart leads and use a third scart to connect the VCR to the sky box.

Or, you can connect the DVD to the TV by the red, yellow and white leads (RCA) and then connect the VCR and sky both to the TV by scart and sky to the VCR by scart.

Plus, the TV aerial should be connected to sky, an RF (aerial-like cable) from sky to the VCR and another RF from the VCR to the TV.
  • amd
    amd Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, funnily enough my mum had a guy round today to fix up her new satellite dish (on top of cable, video and dvd!)

This is what they did:

DVD - scart to TV
    Video - scart to TV
    Satellite - scart to Video (don't know if there's a scart in/scart out on the Video you'll have to check)
    Cable - 'coax in' lead to Video

Hope that gives you a bit of a start! I was as puzzled as you - only 2 scarts on TV. Didn't know you could scart into the Video too. You can then tape from either incoming signal.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
    (Spike Milligan)
  • or

tv scart 1 = sky
    tv scart 2 = dvd
    sky scart 1 = video.

should work i think
  • smcicr
    smcicr Posts: 365 Forumite
    daisy chain the sky and the video

TV scart1 -> SKY -> Video
    TV scart2 -> DVD

and as gizmoleeds said with the aerial and RF cables

on my old telly i only had one scart socket and got Video, DVD and Sky all hooked in by just daisychaining the lot so it will work - it might just take a bit of tweaking to get the recording side as you want it. good luck :)
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." (Mark Twain)
  • Do any of the above work if you are only running your tv channels from the Sky box, i.e. no terrestrial aerial connected at all?

Same set-up - TV, DVD, Sky, VCR but need to be able to record from Sky on the VCR.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• or you could get sky plus and sod the video.
  • or you could get sky plus and sod the video.

Or if your technically minded get Mythtv http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

Then you can sod the sky+ Freeview DVD player video cd-Hifi player DAB radio player and you can surf the internet with it :-)
    While I breathe.... I hope
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Do any of the above work if you are only running your tv channels from the Sky box, i.e. no terrestrial aerial connected at all?

Same set-up - TV, DVD, Sky, VCR but need to be able to record from Sky on the VCR.
    Remember, you can still link the Sky to the VCR and VCR to TV with an aerial lead (RF cable) even if there is no aerial linked to the boxes (you will probably even pick up a fuzzy picture just from the leads acting as aerials.

But, yes - they should all work without an aerial provided they don't require watching one of the devices through tuning in manually (and none except the first of my two suggestions would).
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gizmoleeds wrote:
    Remember, you can still link the Sky to the VCR and VCR to TV with an aerial lead (RF cable) even if there is no aerial linked to the boxes (you will probably even pick up a fuzzy picture just from the leads acting as aerials.

But, yes - they should all work without an aerial provided they don't require watching one of the devices through tuning in manually (and none except the first of my two suggestions would).

The TV has never been manually tuned into any of the terrestrial channels and the Sky is tuned into one of it's AV channels. The only problem is that it appears to be the same one that the VCR uses, so as soon as it's switched on it takes over the channel. The VCR has never been tuned in either as I have no aerial access to use and both units have been bought new since I moved in here.

I'll have a look later and see what's connected to what and check that it's done the way you suggest, thanks :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• sunflower_2
    sunflower_2 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    thanks everyone

am going to try tonight to see which way works for me

the sky+ is defo on its way here, just saving the pennies to get it ;o)
    in the meantime i have to make do with VHS!!!

thanks again

x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family