Paypal postage - can I drop at sorting office rather than Post office?

2»

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    soolin wrote: »
    Wait for custardy to confirm, but they are now all mail centres .

no different things
    delivery offices is where deliveries come from
    Mail centres are the 'hubs' that feed to the delivery offices
    you have some that are integrated and some delivery offices joined onto Post Offices
    you can go to the Edinburgh mail centre but you wont get past security on the gate ;)
    bear in mind when dropping off at a delivery office it can add a day to your delivery times as DO's get inward feeds rather than collections like a Post office
  • custardy
    Forumite
    AMO wrote: »
    Are sorting offices open on Sunday? I know they no longer collect from post boxes anymore. I mainly want to know because if there is one near me and its open on Sundays and they accept post, can't I drop off my LoveFilm DVDs there on a Sunday to get them turned around faster? :)

delivery offices dont operate on Sundays
    mail centres do but are not opn to the public,they may have a post box on the gates though
    theres no sich thing as a sorting office
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,041
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    custardy wrote: »
    no different things
    delivery offices is where deliveries come from
    Mail centres are the 'hubs' that feed to the delivery offices
    you have some that are integrated and some delivery offices joined onto Post Offices
    you can go to the Edinburgh mail centre but you wont get past security on the gate ;)
    bear in mind when dropping off at a delivery office it can add a day to your delivery times as DO's get inward feeds rather than collections like a Post office
    Mine calls itself a mail centre and has a delivery and sorting office facility. It has a counter where you can collect mail if you are left a card and very basic postage facilities, they only use real stamps not sticky labels and onlyl accept cash.

They don't do things like do international signed for or airsure and you can't buy a TV license (assuming you still can in any PO that is)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Harry_Flashman
    Harry_Flashman Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    adam2484 wrote: »
    I enjoy the conversations I have with the postmaster

So you're the goon enjoying a chat while the rest of us wait in line for the window to become free? :D
  • CouponWoman
    CouponWoman Posts: 6,065 Forumite
    The lady postmaster in our post office is a dragon (thats a polite word for her)

She is so rude to my son when he takes parcels in, even though he remains polite to her. She actually throws the parcels he gives to her into the sacks with anger, not a gentle toss but an actual throw by raising her arm high and throwing them.

She does nothing but moan when my son asks for a pop. She looks at him with contempt, and occasionally has took his parcel and won't touch it properly. She holds it by the corners, really gingerly, and when she needs to stick the postage label on she uses just one finger to dab it on and then gets the antiseptic hand gel and quickly uses it. She then takes his money and throws his change at him before grabbing the hand gel again

She is ignorant too, as she made a mistake last week and charged the wrong postage for a European parcel, she put it through as letter rate, my son went back when he noticed and she was so rude, didn't even apologise.

She never says please or thankyou to him, and is an absolute b****h to him.
  • AMO
    AMO Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    delivery offices dont operate on Sundays
    mail centres do but are not opn to the public,they may have a post box on the gates though
    theres no sich thing as a sorting office

Would that make a difference to my post delivery times though?

I mean, if I dropped off my post to the post box on the gates of the mail centre, but they only collect it the next day when they collect the rest of the mail from other post boxes, its going to be pointless right?

My nearest mail centre is Meridian Business Centre, Leicester.

Thanks.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    adam2484 wrote: »
    Just out of interest why don't people use the PO.

Laptop in a box to UK - 4kg insured to £200

RM/Parcelforce > £18 for 48hr.

My courier £8.02 for Next Day.

Gets even worse if you ship to Europe. Parcelforce at Post Office is 300% more.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    She never says please or thankyou to him, and is an absolute b****h to him.

Next time she's like that, you or your son needs to inform her to your face that you're going to put in a complaint in writing into the Royal Mail if she's the postmistress and not counterstaff. If she's just counter staff, ask to see her manager.
  • custardy
    Forumite
    AMO wrote: »
    Would that make a difference to my post delivery times though?

I mean, if I dropped off my post to the post box on the gates of the mail centre, but they only collect it the next day when they collect the rest of the mail from other post boxes, its going to be pointless right?

My nearest mail centre is Meridian Business Centre, Leicester.

Thanks.

no a mail centre is different
    a mail centre is the hub so it deals with the collections
    a delivery office on the other hand is in the busibess of deliveries
    so mail is flowing to the delivery office,its collections are mainly to deal with missorts and returned mail
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    no a mail centre is different
    a mail centre is the hub so it deals with the collections
    a delivery office on the other hand is in the busibess of deliveries
    so mail is flowing to the delivery office,its collections are mainly to deal with missorts and returned mail

I never realised that there was a difference and that there could be a delay if I take my mail to the delivery office! :eek:
    Incidentally today they refused to take my PPI bag, which meant a 45min wait until the PO opened :mad:
    I thought the delivery office was the same as the sorting office and that it would be quicker if I took it there, but if it means a delay to my delivery I won't take it there, there's no point.

thank you for the useful info
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport