DFW Running Club

Comments

• Welcome Polesalot

I think that is why I love running, because it's great for getting you out and about. 3 runs a week is good, and like you I cycle too to vary the excercise.

Good luck next week.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2013: No 1898

Target 2013... Half Marathon under 2 Hrs:cool:

Run 2013 VLM in PB: -4:28.26
  • Betty_Crumble
    Betty_Crumble Posts: 609 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2012 at 7:38AM
    Hello, hope you dont mind but i'm gonna have a nosey round your thread for a bit as I REALLY would love to get into at least jogging regular. Wish you could wave a magic stick and be straight at a level where you didnt spend most of the time where you are bent over double and gasping for breath lol.
    I went out in June and did 2.25km in 19 mins (pap i know) but never went back out again :( I would say i'm reasonably fit, can keep up with a davina dvd for an hour, have 2 flights of stairs to contend with at work and i am constantly up and down them all day. Anyway hopefully i'll manage to get some motivation to go out and give it a few more go's.
    Littlewoods £10 Very BNPL £234.42
    My total debt is [STRIKE]£7242.32[/STRIKE]£244.42
    Extra payment a week: This week: £
    Total to date: £1279.29 not incl this week
    #33 NOvember challenge
  • Hi Betty
    The key to improvement is patience, and getting out 3-4 times a week.
    Once it becomes part of your routine, you will see your fitness improve.

Mist importantly, enjoy, and keep in touch. There seem to be some very experienced runners here to help you if you need it.

• Betty_Crumble
    Betty_Crumble Posts: 609 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2012 at 9:14AM
    Thanks mascott I think this will be the encouragment I need, I know for a fact if i had someone to go with things would be different but nay mind. My son has given me his old ipod so going to put some music i like on there and get on with it. jogging.gif
    Littlewoods £10 Very BNPL £234.42
    My total debt is [STRIKE]£7242.32[/STRIKE]£244.42
    Extra payment a week: This week: £
    Total to date: £1279.29 not incl this week
    #33 NOvember challenge
  • I think the main problem most beginners make is they beat themselves up for being unfit so try and do too much thinking 'well surely I should be able to do it' and then it hurts so much that they never want to go there again.The best thing to do is just go off time at first- say 35 or 45 mins and just do for example a brisk 10 min walk warm up, then do half hr running with walk breaks if necessary with a 5 min cool down walk/stretch. Forget the milage and pace its not important at this stage, what is important when you are starting running is just to raise the heat rate for at least half an hour to a slightly uncomfortable but bearable level. If you do that 3/4 times a week you WILL get fitter! Then thats the stage you can start thinking about being able to run constantly for half an hr, raising the pace etc :rotfl:
  • poodlegal wrote: »
    I think the main problem most beginners make is they beat themselves up for being unfit so try and do too much thinking 'well surely I should be able to do it' and then it hurts so much that they never want to go there again.The best thing to do is just go off time at first- say 35 or 45 mins and just do for example a brisk 10 min walk warm up, then do half hr running with walk breaks if necessary with a 5 min cool down walk/stretch. Forget the milage and pace its not important at this stage, what is important when you are starting running is just to raise the heat rate for at least half an hour to a slightly uncomfortable but bearable level. If you do that 3/4 times a week you WILL get fitter! Then thats the stage you can start thinking about being able to run constantly for half an hr, raising the pace etc :rotfl:

I've been doing the Couch25k programme recently - it's brilliant as you set yourself manageable goals. As you say, there's no point in sprinting for 3 minutes and then collapsing and giving up. I'd really recommend it - there are free podcasts and phone-apps so you don't have to keep checking your watch but they're aren't compulsory.
  • Didn't go out last night. 5am start 20.00 finish wiped me out.

Now going out before late shift tommorrow.

10 km in central London.

Good news is that my new trainers are finally comfy.
    First pair I have had trouble with.

Good luck if you go out today.

• poodlegal
    poodlegal Posts: 152 Forumite
    Have a good run tomorrow! Cant imagine running in Central London! (I'd be scared!) I'm on the opposite end of the scale, a wee remote peninsula on the west coast of Scotland! Anyway, am hoping to do about 5 miles tomorrow myself, hilly trail. Hopefully writing it down now will spur me into action! Will report back!
  • leictina
    leictina Posts: 297
    First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all,

I would love to join in with this thread, i am looking to lose just over a stone next year (to get back to 10st).

I am currently planning zumba at least once a week, with walking, cycling and jogging added in where possible. On the running front i think i might aim for next years 'race for life'
    LBM @ 01.01.12 TOTAL DEBT = £13301.77. LH number 320
    POAMAYC in 2013 #1 : £54.53/£10159.90
    1% challenge - 7% paid off.
    DFD @ 31.07.13 is April 2017 (45 months to go!)
  • Sounds lovely Poodlegal. Running is great in London

Today, my usual route, took me
    Barbican
    St Paul's
    Embankment
    Houses of Parliament
    Southbank
    Millennium Bridge
    Back to Barbican.
    It takes in so many sights that tourists pay a fortune to see, and you never get bored.

That said, your run sounds great. I love my country runs, and hills.

Welcome Leictina

You should have loads of time to get fit for a race for life.
    Start slow and build up very little amounts each week. About 10% max per week increase in distance max.

Today's Run 10.5k. 58.25 mins

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business