Inform Halifax about use of card abroad?

Options
2»

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I would inform all providers, then they cant say you have not done.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • mancini601
    mancini601 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    I've always informed the Halifax. As mentioned by someone else, they fill out a holiday form.

The form is card number, country where you are travelling to etc etc. They complete this with you over the phone
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CpdButWhy wrote: »
    More like a half year. I used the page in October.
    I rang them in mid-December and, as usual, they told me they didn't need to know. Go figure.

But I have always rung them anyway just in case their policy has changed. I don't always read all the small print of the new T&Cs that are sent to me!
  • ahxcjb
    ahxcjb Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    Degenerate wrote: »
    Some providers say not to bother informing them, others say they want to be told. Halifax are in the latter category.

That's funny, as I've used my Clarity card in around 6 European (West and East) countries without previously advising them, and all transactions have been authorised without issue.
  • Mikhail
    Mikhail Posts: 261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Storm in a teacup!
  • Degenerate
    Degenerate Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2011 at 3:19AM
    Options
    ahxcjb wrote: »
    That's funny, as I've used my Clarity card in around 6 European (West and East) countries without previously advising them, and all transactions have been authorised without issue.

They say they want to be informed. That doesn't mean that any foreign transactions will be automatically declined, but your chances of having trouble are greater if you don't follow their recommendation.

Most companies use automated systems that look at usage patterns for potential fraud, so I suspect it goes like this: Automated system spots pattern of foreign transactions it decides looks suspicious. Alert pops up in fraud department. Person in fraud department see note on your account that you are holidaying in that country and cancels the alert. If there is no note your account gets blocked until they can contact you, or you call in.

I know Halifax definitely use such systems because I got a call yesterday regarding a foreign transaction I made over the internet with my Clarity card. I imagine the systems weigh up a lot of factors, so for example Chip and PIN authorized transactions are more likely to go through unhindered.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Degenerate wrote: »
    Most companies use automated systems that look at usage patterns for potential fraud, so I suspect it goes like this: Automated system spots pattern of foreign transactions it decides looks suspicious. Alert pops up in fraud department. Person in fraud department see note on your account that you are holidaying in that country and cancels the alert. If there is no note your account gets blocked until they can contact you, or you call in.

I believe it's a little more automated with that at Halifax, but that's the general idea!
  • Venusflytrap
    Venusflytrap Posts: 564 Forumite
    Options
    If only like Barclaycard you could just enter your travel dates online...a call each time is a bit of a bother IMO!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure