PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March Update: What are you growing in 2006?

Comments

• annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    bluemoon wrote:
    For everything? I keep looking to see when I should start my seeds on the windowsill, but there's conflicting advice. Some sites say to leave it until April. Some say do it now (beginning of March). Others say to count back a certain number of weeks from the last frost date in your area.

But I trust you fellow OSers, so if you say it's safe to bung them in a seed tray now, I shall do so. :D

No - sorry! Not everything! Go with the advice on your seed packets - I am only a beginner myself and just meant that now is a good time to start - I'm just starting with chillis and tomatoes and a few flowers.
  • serena
    serena Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    I would like to join in if I may. I have a garden and an allotment. The garden is ornamental, but I grow tomatoes in the greenhouse in the summer. I love perennials, and grow and sell them at plant fairs during the summer. I am addicted to sowing seeds, and always sow far more than I have room for!

This year I shall be growing lots of vegetables, including potatoes, shallots, onions, salads, oriental veg, peas and beans, flowers for cutting etc etc.

I haven't made much of a start yet, thanks to all the cold weather, but I have sown round carrots in modules ( a pinch of seed in each module, plant out as one without thinning), and they are in the greeenhouse slowly growing. I have also done spring onions the same way, and will do beetroot when there is room in the propagator.

Slow growing things like chillies can be started now, as long as you have somewhere cosy for them to grow on in. Tomatoes need about eight weeks from sowing to planting out, so I shan't be starting my outdoor ones until the beginning of April.

There usually isn't any need to panic over sowing things later. Later sowings grow faster and stronger, and can be far easier to manage.

Happy growing!
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
  • Nikki
    Nikki Posts: 775 Forumite
    We have been attempting to grow things. Starting small just to see if we can do it. We planted peppers, chillies and a few herbs. The peppers and chillies kept flowering but not producing anything, however after moving them from the NE facing kitchen windowsil to the SW facing livingroom windowsil I am pleased to say we have a single pepper growing and a couple of chillies!!
  • Wendrie
    Wendrie Posts: 135 Forumite
    We've done a sort out of the seeds in the fridge and sent off for our free seed potatoes (well £2 to cover p&p) and agreed that we need to buy some more wildlife friendly flower seeds but should be fine for veggies (except sweet corn which ds wants to try again). Although I've promised dd that if we get to Wilkos and they have raspberry canes we'll buy some for the back of the strawberry bed. :)

I'm planning on planting seeds this weekend (dh has to bring the compost in from the car) - parsley, carrots (in modules), tomatoes, butternut squash, peppers and 2 pots of flower seeds.

Ds wants us to buy a potato barrel to see if they work better than the old plastic bins we are currently using (would look nice enough to be on the front patio too).
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    In my front garden I often put a cherry tomato plant (I think the variety is Tumbler) in the hanging baskets. Runner beans have pretty flowers so are good to grow against walls. I also thought I'd stick in a few of the cabbages as they seem to crop up occasionally in displays as ornamental plants. Maybe I could use a sprout plant as a specimen item? And of course nasturtiums are edible (though I've never tried them).

Oooh I forgot, Herbs! Many herbs are lovely plants and suitable for the front garden.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • annie-c
    Thanks Troll. It's a lovely day today and so I am going to do some tidying in my front garden first and then later sow some more seeds (indoors) ready for the warmer weather.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Here's a useful frost guide:

http://www.crocus.co.uk/howto/jackfrost/
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • annie-c
    Thanks Wigginsmum - that frost guide is really useful and explains why different forum users sometimes give different advice about when to start sowing/planting out.

I never knew before that I live in an area that has a risk of frost for a much shorter period of the year than other parts of the county.

Thanks again!
    Annie
  • bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for the advice. :)

I was planning to get some seeds started indoors today, but my bags of compost outside are frozen solid! I've dragged one of them up against the wall of the house so hopefully it will thaw out. :D I don't have a shed or anything like that to put them in.

But, I did do some digging and pruning this morning, so all is not lost!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • Sweet_Pea_2
    Sweet_Pea_2 Posts: 691 Forumite
    Im a novice gardener too, so Im sort of playing it by ear and seeing what growns and what doesn't!
    My sunflowers are a couple of inches tall, (grown from seeds harvested from last years sunflowers) geraniums and dahlias are coming up, all have a couple of leaves, but not doing well with the sweet peas. Last year I had loads, but I dont think where I have them is warm enough so I might have to start off some more.
    Ive got some raspberry canes waiting to go out, (when we get rid of all this snow and ice) I have 5 strawberry plants I bought off ebay, they were looking a bit sorry for themselves but I repotted them into bigger pots and they are now sprouting new leaves all over the shop.
    I planted dill, sage, basil and parsley which are just starting, and rocket (free seeds from the freebies forum) which is also coming up.
    Im really pleased with my tomatoes, they are only tiny at the moment but I have 14 little green shoots! No cucumbers though, I dont know where I went wrong there.
    I still have runner beans, peas, cherry tomatoes, lettuces and carrots to plant but according to the packets its a bit too early.
    And cress on the kitchen windowsill! and I forgot the garlic, a couple of cloves are sprouting.
    All the seeds were either free, half price at the end of summer from Wilkos or 29p a packet from Aldi. Ive put them all in my porch which is large and sunny in one of those plastic greenhouse thingys and I have a thermometer out there to keep and eye on how cold it gets.
    Its so exciting, Ive only ever grown a few flowers in the past, when Im bored and fed up at work I just think of me little tomatoes coming up and it cheers me up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure