How to put up a washing line?

2»

Comments

• We are talking about different things I think! I am pretty bad at explaining things and I have just tried to rewrite what I wrote above, but i cant!!

I like the idea of a little winder thing though, I hadn't thought of something like that. :D

Maybe if I forget about the type of line I am trying to explain and instead say what the problem is with our current system! Hopefully there will be someone who has a solution.

The main problem I have is that i need to get the line up high, our garden isn't very big and the washing line is fixed at one end to a 10ft high post and the other end is to a pully a few feet above the back door - there is nowhere else to put the line so we can't move it. To lower it I just unhook the line from a hook on the wall and to raise it I wind it round the hook When I put washing on the line (I have at least two loads a day), it is too heavy and I can't pull it up very high. Even with a prop halfway down it is still too low and gets in the way or kids/dogs swing off of it!

So I need to be able to pull the line up a couple of feet higher without giving myself a hernia pulling it! Maybe a winder would help? I can't be the only person who has this problem?
  • The winder should make it really easy to lift the washing (I accidentally broke our line a couple of times because I didn't realise how tight i had pulled it).

Below is the closest thing I can find to what my dad made - it has the same ratchet along the side that allows you to lock the line in place. Obvoiusly it's a little more heavy duty than you need but it's the right idea.

Hopefully someone might recognise it and suggest a better option for you.

020111200.jpg
    I found it HERE
    2022 win - Radiate Beauty Balm
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    clothesline1.jpg

heres a sketch of a raising line. using simple parts such as scrap metal tubes.
    prob make the main tubes say 22mm and the slide tubes make 28/30mm.
    pulley A is a twin.
    the C brackets can be welded on for a few quid.
    instead of the bottom C bracket to tie off the line, a winch device is possible.
    the main costs would be the pulleys.
    Get some gorm.
  • Please can you tell me if you eventually sorted this out and if so exactly how does it work as I would like one too!!
    Many thanks
    Grey Lady
  • brigittejohn
    brigittejohn Posts: 60 Forumite
    ... and others here:
    www.ecowashinglines.co.uk

Look for post to wall, or wall to wall pulley washing line. It is quite expensive at £108 + VAT though!

This is the extract from their website:

The post to wall pulley washing line and clothesline system was designed to provide a natural and energy efficient alternative to drying your washing.

The post to wall system gives you the choice of installing the system just about wherever you want around the home as you have a post that can be mounted anywhere in your garden.

For more information on the post to wall washing line and clothes line system, refer to the specifications and features provided.

Price£108.70
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport