Question about overhead rain shower

13»

Comments

• Roaming
    Roaming Posts: 88 Forumite
    Good day all!

I've been on the phone to the manufacturer. According to them the problem could be with the non-return valve or the thermostatic cartridge. I don't think that is the complete solution but for now, I have to wait for the plumber to come in and check out those two possibilities.

1 - Non-Return Valve could have some tiny debris, or grains of sand which need to cleaned away and then at the two extreme settings I should get either scalding hot or very cold. At the moment I can get very cold but not necessarily the kind of scalding hot I get the basin tap in the same bathroom.

2 - If that is not the problem then they will take a deposit on the cartridge and have a look at the one I return.... or something to that effect ie, if its faulty from their end we'll get anew one else if its been damaged in installation, we pay for a new cartridge.

They don't seem to think its a flow rate or pressure problem though.

tigress289, the bath filler (centrafill), the hand held shower and over head fixed shower are all on the thermostatic valve.
  • Roaming
    Also, does anyone know if its normal or not for the cold feed end of thermostatic valve (cold intake) to feel slightly warm at any point, I'm not saying 'not cold', but actually slightly warm to touch?
  • Roaming
    Hi Canucklehead!

I did go through the fault finding procedure this morning and went through some basics with the manufacturer on the phone as well. The pressure at the rain shower is not a problem at all, it gives good pressure for sure just the temperature isn't as 'hot' as I would expect given how hot it is at the basin tap in the same bathroom.

I think there is some setting needed to be done on the thermostatic valve and because the currently the knob has not been fixed on, it does go around with no stop at 38 degrees to require pressing the safety button to move beyond and so it gets a bit confusing.

Thank you for explaining the setup I had, and also for the fitting instructions. Checked with them that my plumber had been set the very same instructions so he really shouldn't be saying things like he didn't have at all. But for now, we have two avenues to check.
    Hi.

I am beginning to wonder if anyone understands what the OP has.

The arrangement is a thermostatically controlled water supply to:
    1) A fixed shower head (rain head)

2) A shower handset on flexi hose.

3) A bath filler/overflow to fill the bath.

ALL the water is through a THERMOSTAT.

If the THERMOSTAT is not set properly if will NOT pass water at a usable temperature.

If the OP could just attempt to go through the set up procedure, as set out in the linked instruction, for the THERMOSTAT this will rule it in or out as the problem with the TEMPERATURE.

The FLOW RATE of the combi is another problem.

As it stands now the handset will give a good shower.

The bath will take forever to fill

The rain head will dribble out, BUT it will be HOT, just a very poor FLOW.

GSR.
  • fluffpot
    fluffpot Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Now that we've got a plumber on this thread, it sounds like it might not be such bad news after all. Fingers crossed for you!

Fluff
  • Roaming
    Hi Canucklehead/all!

The plumber cleaned out the non-return valves which 1) wasn't much to clean 2) didn't really help much in terms of the temperature.

We did a temperature test as well. At the basin tap in the bathroom we were getting 50 degrees + (it has 15mm pipes feeding it), at the Bath Centrafill and handheld shower we got a maximum of 45 degrees.

Next door in the toilet basin we got about 47-48 degrees. These were on a non-digital reader though (we used the one from the garden as didn't have any others).

Also, the plumber said that the diameter for the intake points on the valves to the thermostatic cartridge reduced to about 7-8mm but he wasn't sure if the reduction in diameter would have had any effect on the temperature.

Any clues?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport