Can I donate fake goods to a charity shop?

2»

Comments

• Giddytimes
    Giddytimes Posts: 435 Forumite
    Out of interest though does anyone know the answer to my question? Could someone end up in trouble for donating fake goods to charity?
    Debt at 1/5/09 £21,996 _pale_
    Current debt- 0 :j Final payment made October 2012. :D
  • Giddytimes wrote: »
    Out of interest though does anyone know the answer to my question? Could someone end up in trouble for donating fake goods to charity?

I expect they're not allowed but who really knows who donated what? I popped in an Oxfam the other week and they had for sale a fake Mulberry bag (the quality was worse than something off the market) for £25. Surely at this price they knew it wasn't real as the real deal sells for £775 new.
  • I've brought fake designer stuff from charity shops before (it was a hand bag and I was only 15 so couldn't really tell the difference, mind you the price of 2.50 should have given it was.)

There was also a section on one of those airline shows about a charity that collects all seized fake designer clothes and puts their own label on it and send them to Africa and other countries.
  • I took some fake UGG boots in to a charity shop and told the manager they weren't real but were they of any use to her. She practically snatched my hand off. :rotfl:They were horrible too and one glance would show they were fake. Sure someone would have bought them though.
  • Hi Having worked in several charity shops I can say that all charity shops are bound by the same rules on fake goods as everyone else. They are not allowed to knowingly sell any fake designer goods and as such if there is any doubt they will destroy the items rather than face the prospect of being liable for selling them. You would not get into trouble for donating them as such but they could not then resell knowing that they were fakes. Hope this helps.
    Sometimes it seems that just when I think I have reached rock bottom, someone hands me a shovel.
  • I wouldnt feel right reselling them knowing they are fake. But if they are decent to wear and you take the labels out and give them to charity then surely its just any old dress that someone might enjoy. Surely better than going to landfill!
  • macfly
    macfly Posts: 2,728 Forumite
    Why aren't you wearing them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills