PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

braising steak in the slow cooker - good recipes??

hello,

does anyone have a recipe for braising steak done in the slow cooker so that the gravy comes out all lovely and syrupy and not like water as it does when i do it! :o plus my meat always tastes funny, so obviously im not doing something right!!
Please be nice to all moneysavers!
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!

Comments

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Hi Pebbles!

I used to have the same problem then I sorted it (with a little help from my Mum ;) ) I brown the meat off in a very hot dry frying pan then put it in the slow cooker. Then I add 1 or 2 onions, a couple of carrots, parsnip, swede - anything thats around really, a good dash of worcester sauce, enough beef stock to cover it by an inch or just less, a squeeze of tomato puree, a pinch of mixed herbs & salt & pepper. I cook it for about 6 - 8 hours then about an hour before I'm serving I mix some cornflour into it to thicken the gravy up. It's yummy served with mash, yorkshire puds & veg :D HTH.
  • pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    Hi Pebbles!

I used to have the same problem then I sorted it (with a little help from my Mum ;) ) I brown the meat off in a very hot dry frying pan then put it in the slow cooker. Then I add 1 or 2 onions, a couple of carrots, parsnip, swede - anything thats around really, a good dash of worcester sauce, enough beef stock to cover it by an inch or just less, a squeeze of tomato puree, a pinch of mixed herbs & salt & pepper. I cook it for about 6 - 8 hours then about an hour before I'm serving I mix some cornflour into it to thicken the gravy up. It's yummy served with mash, yorkshire puds & veg :D HTH.

Heckey thump, im :drool: already!! thanks!!
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I put the chunks of meat in a bowl with flour and pepper then fry the meat in a pan until browned nicely. although it might seem time consuming it's better to brown the meat in small batches, rather than chuck the whole lot in at once. would also second the idea of adding tomato puree.

After years of making uninspiring stews and casseroles - my children are finally asking me when we're having beef stew for dinner again - unbelievable!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • fav77
    fav77 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Mmmm!
    Guiness makes a lovely substitute for beef stock - brown beef (in steaks or chunks,coated in flour), chuck in slow cooker with a couple of quartered onions, pour over some original guiness, splash on a bit of worcestershire sauce and leave in slow cooker all day. lovely with mash and veg. Its an old Delia recipe that works really well in slow cooker - the beef just melts!
    Hope this helps!
    Franki
  • This thread has recipes for the SC - ideas for using braising steak. I'll merge this thread later.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family