Do you wear and return clothes to save cash?

Comments

• 3wisemonks
    3wisemonks Posts: 118
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Would never do this myself its just wrong, however, a friends parents buy instore or through catalogues for herself and husband, wear the items once for funeral, weddings etc then return for a refund. Some tags she could remove and put back on, others she would just tuck in. :eek:

I find it so very strange, why not spruce up an old outfit or visit a charity shop.
    LBM 2009 (first attempts started 2007) Debt @ highest £50,000+
    All old debts repaid fell off the wagon last year and new current total £5000 all 0% and manageable. Won't be overpaying but need to get back on the wagon now!

Mortgage £48,142
  • Salading
    Salading Posts: 3
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 August 2013 at 7:59AM
    I think the last option is a bit of a leading question. It's true it's morally wrong, but there are other reasons why people don't do this. In my case I don't do it because its chav behavior.
  • Sparhawke
    Sparhawke Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2013 at 8:15AM
    My mum once used a pair of wellingtons for years and got a refund...how the hell she managed that I will never know

Me personally, I couldn't do it but that is only because the few clothes I ever buy I intend on wearing and they are usually not the kind you can wear once. I get clothes for practicality and warmth more than looks.

The biggest problem with all this though is that women can get away with wearing so much more and they have more choices, when men hire a suit even for a impromptu business meeting it is wedding only or nothing. For example, what if you have just flown in from abroad and your suit gets lost on the way, you have an important business meeting that afternoon yet have no cash for a good suit?
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Actually this is my poll not Deb's. And she isn't an intern, she's a fully time member of the team one of whose jobs is putting up the polls (which usually I write).

In fact this isnt some triviality its deliberately looking at a trend issue ahead of next years change in Distance Selling Regulations where the return policy shifts from 7 to 14 days.

Its not meant to condone or legitimise, but it is meant to gather information. With 14% currently saying they do this - that is not an insubstantial number.

Martin ;)

I wouldn't say it is an inconsequential forum filler either, it is a very good question both on financial and ethical grounds.
    "Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck" - The Doctor.
  • Do people really do this? That is just GROSS!
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The only thing I wear before I decide are shoes, but I wear them in the house and only on carpets for a few hours to see if they are rubbing, comfy etc.
  • ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This is a really awful thing to do.
    I even don't think that you should be able to return non-faulty items at all...
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • I'm really shocked at how many people are doing this. It's disgusting - oh yeuck. Now I'm going to look really closely at anything I'm buying new to see if it's got any wear signs at all. I cannot bear the thought of dirty people wearing anything first and yes the people who do this are dirty.
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    This is the reason I wash new clothes before we wear them. Bad enough people trying them on, but actually wearing them out then returning them. Yuck.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    I can't ever think of a good reason to do this and I'm shocked that some think it acceptable. :eek:
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • No I would not do this-I have taken things home to try on but not to wear to "BORROW".I have borrowed outfits from friends ,and bought from charity shops for special occasions and noone knew where they came from-now if you are lucky enough to find a good outfit in a charity shop it is something to be proud of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure