PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• Had my kitchen taps replaced yesterday and the plumbers then checked my toilet cistern as he found the flush a bit feeble and discovered part of the syphon broken and the base seal about to go and flood the room :eek:

Thankfully this is all out of the Landlady's pockey :whistle:

I'm now awaiting delivery of a small dehumidifier to deal with the bath alcove (it's off the end of my bedroom!!) but things felt better once the toilet was sorted out so who knows how much of an issue that was actually causing!

I think I will also try having the heating running at low temp all the time as the flat really struggles to hold any heat very well... Will look into better options for the curtains etc.

Need to wear my PJs instead of having the electric blanket on low all night which I did last night as I wasn't *that* cold..... One-off ;)

Lxx
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • A shiny new thread! My winter prep has stalled because the pressure rail I got for the tiny area by the front door falls down when I put a curtain up. : (
    Can't afford a new rail at the mo and in any case don't have the wherewithal to put one up.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Woohoo, a shiny new thread! Thank you!

We are currently changing things over from summer to winter in our home and it gives a lovely nesting feeling ;)
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Lucy5781 wrote: »
    Need to wear my PJs instead of having the electric blanket on low all night which I did last night as I wasn't *that* cold..... One-off ;)

Lxx

Hehe, that's always what I tell myself and I have been using the electric blanket fro 5 days now :o
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the new thread. My plans are:

Get curtain rails for kitchen and landing.
    MIL to split spare door curtain to make a pair for kitchen window.
    Hang them. Obviously.
    Few outdoor jobs, shed tidy, brush lawn mower down, check BBQ etc.
    Move toys and rug from conservatory to garage room, for warm play-space
    Put some essentials in a bag for the car, just in case.
    Cosy up the kids beds a bit more. DS needs another duvet cover.
    Insulate the lr side window. It's a bit exposed and draughty.
    Get DD extra gloves.

And I think that's it for us. We have plenty of warm layers, and boots. Had loft insulated last year. Most maintenance type stuff is kept on top of.

Anyone know where to get small kiddies gloves? DD is 2, and the baby mittens you get in the hat sets for her age are too small for her hands. We tried children's magic gloves, but they are too big. She had one pair of tiny magic gloves from last year. They fit, but we've nothing else if she gets them wet...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Wow fantastic new thread.:j

It great reading everyone's ideas.

With regards to my own prep DS who was one on Tuesday is fully kitted out with a new coat and he has plenty of hats already which strangely enough he loves.

Just got to get OH a new coat and hat, he isn't a scarf or glove person as he is used to working outside so wouldn't wear them even if i bought them. However its reminded me I do need to stock up on some thermals for him though.

I am just putting my power cut kit together so there will be a few things added to this weeks shopping list.

Blankets are already out as i suffer with arthritis so I have to admit the heating is on a little but just to warm the house up a bit. But if the blanket isnt enough we have three dogs who like to keep us warm.

Right I am off to make a shopping list. Take care everyone.
  • Ellie83 wrote: »
    Hehe, that's always what I tell myself and I have been using the electric blanket fro 5 days now :o

Me too! It's been on a week now and will be used daily from now on TBH. I love it though, really toasty.:p
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've just discovered that I need to buy DD a new winter jacket. She may measure much the same roundways as she did a year ago but the sleeves of last year's jacket are now half way up to her elbows and it's far too short. Pity, her uncle brought it back from Canada for her and it was a fantastically warm three in one type of jacket, very wind and waterproof. Oh well, one of her younger friends will undoubtably like it.
    Val.
  • SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,229
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Spent 2 hours under the stairs this morning checking my winter food pile and then pulling out all the summer shoes and bagging up to go in the loft.

Dh is off for 2 weeks fom monday so he will pack the fans,shoes and bedding into the loft and bring down the boots and shoes (thicker duvets already on)
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • I never stick the heating on until after Halloween, but I'll admit I'm finding it rather chilly lately. Think it's the dampness with all the rain. Am getting all our spare blankets washed and dried this week, and stored away in the hot press.

Fired up the gas boiler for an hour last night to make sure that it was working properly, then checked all the radiators were working. Once they all got warm I turned all of them completely off except for the one in the living room and the little one in the main bedroom. When we have the heating on then, we won't be paying for the extra rooms (and hall) being heated.

If I have a few spare quid next week I'll get our Winter overcoats done at the laundrette as they're a bit stuffy smelling after months in storage.
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure