No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December

Comments

• VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,819
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    LE intensive nourishing treatment - used this as a handmask to try and soften up my dry hands. I really like using it for this purpose but not too keen on it for the face. This was a little old and the smell had gone a bit funny - Mr KM commented that whatever I had on my hands smelt of vomit! It wasn't a great smell but not that bad, honest...:o

I agree with MrKM about the smell of this one (and all her "treatment" products TBH). It's the camphor in them I can't bear.
    Evening all!

Rosemary, I think you may have hit a real LB moment this week! I definitely agree with both you and indiepanda over the stockpiling issues. Personally I know I have problems with decluttering generally; I get upset when OH throws things away, get emotionally attached to objects and have a recurring nightmare of empty kitchen cupboards. So the idea of stockpiling for a nuclear winter extends to all areas of my life. Toiletries in particular are an easy pick me up for me; they're fairly cheap, last a long time, but the thrill of purchasing has worn off recently.

I got over hoarding things when my father in law died and we had to clear his house. I never understood what my mother in law (who died before him) meant when she said they would not downsize as they used every room in the house! It turned out every room in the house was used for storage of something or other. MrM didn't want to part with anything and thinking about the amount of stuff in our loft makes me feel queasy. When we were emptying the wardrobes this week for the revamp he called me upstairs to ask if I wanted any of the books he had retrieved from it as if they were mine. I came upstairs to be faced with a pile of X file conspiracy type books that he was always reading in the 90's which have probably all been debunked by now!! Being abducted by aliens is clearly not on trend anymore. He was upset when I told him to chuck the lot. Anyway I digress - what I'm trying to say is don't hoard. The special offers will always come around again.
    scrappie wrote: »
    Hello Ladies --- I'm back!!!

Welcome to all the newbies - and hugs to all. It seems a lot of us are in need right now.

Mum and i had a lovely trip to the US to visit family - it was great to see mum having such a good time after the year she has had.

I got my results from the genetics centre, and I'm a moderatly high risk. I am going to begin yearly visits to the family history clinic but so far that's all that is needed. V pleased with that!

Managed to get through my whole holiday buying 3 BE Buxom lip gloss (Liberty) so hard to find it near me, I now have enough to last through 2013 :D Also bought 1 eyeshadow - because it was reduced bu 80%, a moment of weakness! Went to Five Below and bought two Sally Hanson nail sticker thingies - leopard print and black glitter, $2 each. So not bad at all. Will glitter my nails whilst working christmas night!

I managed three trips to Sephora and bought - drum roll please
    NOTHING. Am I cured, or just ill??? Mum was quite concerned when I uttered the words 'I really don't need anything, and I will just see lovely stuff that I will have to buy - can we go please' I have to say, I had to take a moment pat myself on the back and have a little sit down.

I did however run riot in Whole Foods - its the size of a giant TESCO, OMG, I love that place. Bought a whole load of stuff home:T So glad I don't live close to one here, would never have any money.

My clarissonic is wonderfull - bought it during another moment of weakness in Oct. Will not look back. Using decleor cleansing wash at the mo and all is good.

Will be gifting some of my stash as part of xmas gifts - so that will reduce it a little. Also, work have asked for 'anything' this year for hamper gifts - including toiletries. So may well pass a few things on to the people collecting. Will be just my luck to win the blooming things back!

Althought I have not 'written off' December, I'm guessing that with work and xmas I will be a little busy, so my intention is to begin my new stash list this month. Then when I (no doubt) get smellies for xmas I can add it to the list. In Jan when I manage to post a full up-to-date list I can feel very proud of myself. (let's see if it happens:cool:) The intention is there at least.

I also plan to continue my £1 in the pot for every uu and £5 in the pot for each TSV I do not buy. In addition I would like to have a more structured list, so will start counting up my UU. Think this will give me more of a sense of achievement - I clearly need that!

Hope everyone has a lovely day - I will be in bed sleeping after my nightshift!

Lovely to see you back scrappie and your trip sounds wonderful. Congrats on not spending in Sephora though the thought of walking out of that store with zero purchases makes me feel queasy. x
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • VALM
    Forumite
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Morning everyone, bit behind reading, major probs yesterday, please send some positive vibes to my little brother B (51) airlifted to hospital with a major heart problem, touch and go atm, just praying he can hold on long enough to be taken into theatre for surgery. No need to post back to me, but if you can spare him a thought, as I really do believe in the power of positive thought etc. Thanks.

Thinking of you maddiemay. Take care. Love Val xx
    rosemary54 wrote: »
    how awful,you have my prayers and hugs.I am at an age when I am starting to think about how long people I know have left:(of course I also worry about what they will say if I go first and they see my stash:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:next years resolution is to use money I would have spent on stuff to put in my cupboard(am thinking of it that way as not actually using much as only so much stuff you can put on your face at once)to go out and enjoy life.think i would be shocked if i added up what I had spent.
    just bought OH another christmas pressie as feeling a bit guilty at how much I spend on myself:rotfl:

just bought glamour jan issue for the Body shop card....mag was £1.50 and card worth at least £3 but could be £15 or £100

am guessing mine will be £3:(struggles to read the small print even with glasses on but think you have to spend it all at once so lucky girls with £100 take note!

This is what I mean about stashing things!! Mind you I'd understand finding a stash of lovely toiletries more than finding the drawer full of tape measures at FIL's house. I kid you not.

What's the glamour mag give away?

I almost forgot to declare some more INs that I bought today but in my defence they are travel sizes to take to York with us this weekend. Bought Aussie shampoo and conditioner (only have huge bottles of V05 in at the moment). Have packed a travel sized bottle of elemis Frangipani shower cream. We are driving there straight from work tomorrow night so I won't "speak" with you ladies till after the weekend. Have a good time everyone and wrap up warm!! MrM and Emma will be pleased I'm dragging them around museums to keep out of the cold. xx
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Maddiemay, you're in all our thoughts. Wishing you strength and comfort. I worry about my bro and sis - they are older than me, Sis, 63 has retired, Bro is 61 (doesn't look it).

York is one of my favourite places Val - and my daughter's. Most of the times I've been there it's been work - related though, as two organisations I've worked for have used the city for regional meetings. It was cold and rainy up here today with ice forecast, and York is only 50 miles away. Hope you are OK underfoot on your visit and enjoy your stay.

I've been looking at my stash, not that there's much, and I had a bit of a Light Bulb Moment with regard to why I buy stuff I don't exactly need.

One strategy I use (apart from a big drop in income) that helps me avoid buying edible (fattening) treats is to imagine what it tastes like and picture myself eating it before I pick it up.
    I remind myself that I have eaten it before, or something very similar, and it really isn't worth derailing my diet for. It works quite well for me.

But we can't do that with toiletries. My UU of today was a 75ml Avon Foot Works Berry & Vanilla foot cream. I love vanilla scents so "had" to buy it.

It's actually quite a sweet, pleasant smell but not quite as nice as I thought it would be, TBH. That's the key with so much I buy.

Words used for texture can entice too.. I bought a rose & peach body whip the other week; it was the word "whip" that lured me, a light cream to sink in well and not make me feel sticky as some heavy creams do. Well, that whip smells overwhelmingly to me of not rose or peach, but of bitter potassium citrate. The texture is lovely, the scent is not.

And even when you like a smell, the product can be wrong. I've twice bought chocolate scented toiletries because I assumed using a smell I liked would mean I liked the product.
    But I found that using products that made me smell like Thornton's at 7 am wasn't as pleasant as I thought it would be.

So back to the UU. WIBA with the foot cream? Well, I already did on my last but one Avon order. It's not that bad, but it's not that cheap either unless it's on SO. Last time it was on a four items for a fiver offer (or was it three?) and too good to miss.

The Avon brochure is sat at my feet - I bought my DS a giant 750 ml shower gel for £1.99 and that arrived today but didn't buy myself anything.
    Mantra... I don't need anything ... I don't need anything ...

I haven't looked at it yet though ... :D
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Maddiemay - sending you and your family positive thoughts and prayers. I hope that your brother soon shows signs of improvement. Thinking of you all.

Off to look at JL site for 'Daisy' goddaughter loves that stuff..

Scrappie:p
    No Buying Toiletries in 2013

SPC # 1336
    VSP #54

• VALM
    Forumite
    York is one of my favourite places Val - and my daughter's. Most of the times I've been there it's been work - related though, as two organisations I've worked for have used the city for regional meetings. It was cold and rainy up here today with ice forecast, and York is only 50 miles away. Hope you are OK underfoot on your visit and enjoy your stay.

And even when you like a smell, the product can be wrong. I've twice bought chocolate scented toiletries because I assumed using a smell I liked would mean I liked the product.
    But I found that using products that made me smell like Thornton's at 7 am wasn't as pleasant as I thought it would be.

Thanks. We were away in York this time last year and it was very wet so have packed loads of warm clothing. Emma unfortunately has started with a cold so will have to pack lots of cold remedy items as well.

The best chocolate fragrance I've tried is Philosophy Double Hot Cocoa shower gel. Love this in Autumn/Winter as it warms me up.
    scrappie wrote: »
    Maddiemay - sending you and your family positive thoughts and prayers. I hope that your brother soon shows signs of improvement. Thinking of you all.

Off to look at JL site for 'Daisy' goddaughter loves that stuff..

Hope you got sorted scrappie. I see it's still on offer at the moment. I was a bit miffed a couple of weeks ago because it was price matched then at £15.00@ and sold out by the time I realised. Put in a request for an email when it was back in stock thinking that by then it would be back to regular price and was chuffed when it came back in stock at an even lower price. I reckon I've saved a third on the price of both items so very pleased. x

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • mickey_mouse
    mickey_mouse Posts: 1,432
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Maddiemay - my thoughts are with you - gentle hugs

UU - sample of Elemis active skin complex .

Have a great day everyone :)
    Use up toiletries in 2020. 88
    Make £2020 in 2020. No 85. £1808.05/£2020
  • Itzybitzy
    Itzybitzy Posts: 949 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2012 at 2:04PM
    UU

Nivea Double Effect Deo, 50ml - WBA nice simple deo!

INS

Primark Cleansing Wipes 25 x 2
    Total debts = [STRIKE]£3116[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]2216[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£2066[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1916[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1766[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1616[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1466[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1316[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1166[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1016[/STRIKE]£866
    DMP £150 each month
    Total paid off so far £2150 :D
    Debt Free by Jan 2013
  • Tater
    Tater Posts: 144
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    UU Batiste dry shampoo.

I have tried again to use the Superdrug version but it just seems to make my hair wet and greasier, not sure where I am going wrong but think I will give up and TA

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Oh, I hope the surgery goes well!

I finished the half marathon in Vegas. I honestly thought I was doing a 10KM thingie. But I've got the medal, tshirt, and race bib.

TA an Estee Lauder Sensous Pleasures gwp size eau de cologne. Smelt like hairspray on me.

UU a Maybelline Volume mascara. It was good better than the pink and green tube but I think it was discontinued.

I was good and left the hotel toilletries behind. The bathrooms in the Venetian are huge. I put the bathtub and foam bath to good use!

I wound up coming home with a Nars blusher, a box of four Clinique Black Honey liptubes and a few things I sent directly to the boys girlfriends. Oh, and a grapefruit roll on cologne. For the life of me I can't remember who makes it.

It's -22 out here and that's not factoring in the windchill. Keep warm and enjoy your stash.
  • Maddiemay, thinking of you.

What a week. Am on call tomorrow and now have the blooming landlords coming round with some people to view the property. We have boxes and stuff everywhere because we move in a few days! And I was hoping to stay in my pj's and get some extra work done this weekend. So much for that then, on with the epic cleaning tonight!

Forgive me forumites for I have sinned. A casualty of living in boxes, I couldn't find my HG concealer before a big work event this week. I couldn't go looking as ready for the knackers yard as I do without a serious level of light reflecting concealer and could not find it anywhere. Went to Boots, for it is the no7 light reflecting concealer pen. Picked up the concealer and saw 'buy any two items of makeup and get a free gift'. Already feeling tired and not up for big bash events, I treated myself and picked up a second item and got the free gift on top.

My INs for this week therefore are
    No7 concealer pen
    No 7 stay perfect nailpolish metallic lilac
    No7 Stay Perfect Metallic Eyes Pencil - Blackest
    No 7 Stay Perfect Eyeshadow miniature black gold
    No7 Exceptional Definition Mascara Miniature, Black
    No7 Stay Perfect lipstick in Classic Rose

Oh, and then just to top it off....I found the original concealer. In my handbag. :T:T what an idiot.

So I now have metallic painted nails (lovely but needs another coat) and feel an itching to throw away/lavishly use up some items to even the balance, but will be good and see what naturally evolves. It also puts my total toiletries spending up to £40 in the 8 weeks I've been doing the challenge. I'm certainly not going to beat myself about that, I'd spend that most weekends otherwise!!

One dull UU: Triple Dry 72 hour deodorant. I now have one deodorant at work and one at home; I think that means I've graduated in this one small area! :A

Hope everyone has lovely pampering weekend plans
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport