PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does cooked chicken keep for?

Options
I roasted a chicken on Monday evening.

I've just used the leftovers to make a chicken pie with frozen pastry.

Do you think this pie will keep in the fridge until Saturday night?

If not, should I freeze it? I presume I will need to cook it / part cook it first as I have used frozen pastry?

Comments

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    I'd freeze it as it is and cook it thoroughly on Saturday. I wouldn't eat refrigerated cold chicken that had been around for longer than 3 days.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • GardenMillie
    GardenMillie Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    Me too, I would definitely freeze it - it's too chancy and you don't want to spoil your weekend feeling rotten.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    I would agree with this 3-day rule, but then again am wondering if this is necessarily true - and what puzzles me is that, at Christmas, people buy Turkeys that are bigger than any family can humanly manage and pride themselves on keeping it going into the New Year!

Does anyone on here keep their poultry in the fridge longer than 3 days???
  • cookiesncream
    Options
    No, I wouldn't either. The rate at which the bacteria multiplies in poultry is beyond belief! I agree with everyone else and I say freeze it.
    1 John 4: 7 & 8
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    I keep cooked chicken for up to 4 days and have never had a problem, however I think the keeping time is also dependant on how fresh the chicken was when you cook it - I have found lately that any chicken I buy from Tescos is rank if I don't cook it on the day I buy it - even if the sell by date is days after. It's not my fridge as everything else is always fine and the temp is okay.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • mum2many
    mum2many Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    I have found lately that any chicken I buy from Tescos is rank if I don't cook it on the day I buy it - even if the sell by date is days after. It's not my fridge as everything else is always fine and the temp is okay.
    snap, but with a pork joint and salmon fillets:mad:
    em x
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Suzy_Babe
    Suzy_Babe Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    I have found lately that any chicken I buy from Tescos is rank if I don't cook it on the day I buy it - even if the sell by date is days after. It's not my fridge as everything else is always fine and the temp is okay.

I have this problem with chicken from my local Co-op. I'm sure they think I'm 'trying it on' (probably the only one to complain!).
    If it's cheap, I'm cheerful!
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had this with salmon from Safeway - when I complained the custimner service woman said 'but everyone knows you should cook fish the day you buy it'.

Riiight - so buying it on Friday at 9pm, I should have cooked it that night instead of Saturday (by which time it was RANK) - when the bb date was Sunday....

I have since found a FAB local fishmongers, where the fish is so fresh you could probably get away with keeping it for a week - there is no smell at all when you buy it.
  • toria27
    toria27 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone I have a problem I hope you can all help with. I have recently stopped buying chicken breasts on the recommendation of many of you and used a whole chicken last week to make several meals and me and OH enjoyed the meat loads more than using just breast!!

We were having roast chicken for dinner today, which I was then going to make into curry and another dish (don't know what yet?? dont like chicken soup any other ideas) But we now have the chance to go out for lunch.

I have had to cook the chicken anyway as it has been defrosted. My question is how many days can I keep the cooked chicken for and can I freeze it by itself will it then taste ok when I defrost ot for my curry etc. The curry sauce is a jar I got cheap so not much point in making and freezing that is there?

Hope someone can answer this asap as chicken is nearnly cooked now and I don't know what to do with it for the best.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone is having a great weekend
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can carve the chicken once its cooked and divide it up and freeze in indiviaul portions. Its ok to refreeze it because you have cooked it (AFAIK)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure