Christmas job vacancies

Comments

• SHIPSHAPE
    SHIPSHAPE Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    Mupette wrote: »
    did he get paid for the time being there whilst waiting to see if he had work that day.. i would assume he would been paid whilst on the premises?

No.

He would wait in the canteen at the start of a shift and, eventually, told if he was needed or not, more often he and others were not needed.

No work-no pay.
  • jess1974
    jess1974 Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    I've just picked up a few evening hours in my local co-op, there was an advert on the wall advertising the vacancy, i was just keeping my eyes open in every shop i went in.......
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As someone else has said Boots, M&S, TK Maxx, Debenhams will all recruit Christmas Staff, as will the perfume shop and most jewellers, HMV too.
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try some of the local catering agencies, there should be a shed load of bar work, waitering, and silver service roles available from the end of november.
    Silver service can be quite lucrative with decent pay levels and big tips for great service from drunk people.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Get out on your high street with your cv and ask the shops, try m&s, tesco, asda, argos.
  • Truegho
    Truegho Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    But don't they accept online applications only?

DCFC79 wrote: »
    Get out on your high street with your cv and ask the shops, try m&s, tesco, asda, argos.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Truegho wrote: »

the stores i mentioned yes except argos apparently accept application forms in store, what i meant was if the shop says apply online then apply online but there are employers who dont recruit online eg the works, mountain warehouse, milletts are a few i can name.
  • TeaCake
    TeaCake Posts: 429 Forumite

Not all of them, Argos have a 1 page form to fill out and I always attach a CV as there isn't enough room on it to properly fill out and Tescos have given out a paper form in the past.
  • Truegho
    Truegho Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have personally handed in an Argos app form, but the manager has never got back to me. Very depressing.

DCFC79 wrote: »
    the stores i mentioned yes except argos apparently accept application forms in store, what i meant was if the shop says apply online then apply online but there are employers who dont recruit online eg the works, mountain warehouse, milletts are a few i can name.
  • TeaCake
    TeaCake Posts: 429 Forumite
    I have personally handed in an Argos app form, but the manager has never got back to me. Very depressing.

Just the one?

I covered 12 Argos last year with no luck and have handed in 5 so far this year and have yet to hear back from any.
    I know its hard but you just have to carry on understanding that there are 1000's of others in the same boat. I find it hard having no support from the Job Centre in looking for work but theres so many people waiting they barely have 5 mins to check my forms and sign me off before moving onto the next person.

I keep a supply of CVs and envelopes in the car so I can hand out as necessary when im out and about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure