Cost of removing a sebaceous cyst privately?

Hello there.

I've recently found out that I can have a cyst removed from my neck through my work medical cover, with the cost to me being 15% of the cost of the procedure up to a maximum of £350.

I'm just wondering exactly how much it's likely to be. If it's going to be up near the full £350 then I might as well just wait for the NHS.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You could be waiting a minimum of six months for the NHS. I was told privately I'd pay about £600 (total cost) but that was last year.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ring your local private hospital and ask for a quote. They should be able to tell you over the phone as there are standard charges for routine things.

I expect it will be well over £350 though. Consultants charge between £150 and £170 just to see you and discuss; the procedure is on top of that.
    2010 Posts: 5,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I had one done recently, waited 6 weeks and had it done at my local surgery by my own doctor on NHS.
    Most surgeries do "minor surgery" now.
    Would have been quicker but I was away on holiday and the long Easter weekend also got in the way.
  • Okay, thanks for the replies everyone.

If what you say is right, unixgirl, then I'll be paying about £100 to save waiting for six months, which is definitely worth it to me.

To be honest, 2010, I've been pretty surprised at the length of time this has taken already. When the cyst first showed up a couple of months ago I spoke to a friend from Uni who is a GP, and they expected it to be treated immediately. But when I went to see my GP 3 weeks ago, i was told I'd have to be referred and haven't heard a peep since. Even if they just gave me a date I'd probably be happy.
  • violetta
    violetta Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    OH saw GP at 9.40 a week last Monday with a sebaceous cyst (it did look like a volcano with lots of side craters though) and by 12 noon on the same day he was at our local hospital having the cyst excised. I was well impressed.

I work at a private hospital and there is no way it could have been done within hours where I work, so the NHS really came through for us. There are some horror stories, but when it works, it really works.
    A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    some in the family had one removed - it was only a few weeks from going to the GP to having it done (it wasn't anything like a volcano!). i'm sure it could have been done quicker but it was organised around when was the best time to be off work.

can you chase the receptionists at your GP about the referral? sounds like it might be a slow paperwork issue rather than anything else.
    :happyhear
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I had one removed from my ear lobe in two weeks on the NHS in the minor surgery unit of my local hospital.

I have had one removed in the Day unit as well - waited longer for that one but that was under a GA so understandable
  • Mish_Mash
    Mish_Mash Posts: 92 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I went to see my gp this week with a large cyst on my head. It has grown a lot over the last year and can be seen through my hairline and is now really sore. I was told that my borough (Enfield) had cancelled all minor surgery and I was unlikely to have my case taken on.

I don't have private healthcare, I pay a fortune for private physio at the moment and can't afford to pay for a private op. Sometimes wonder what I pay my taxes for - never claimed any kind of benefit, always worked, no children etc etc. Apologies for the rant but am kind of fed-up.
  • I have a large sebaceous cyst on my back. I first had one in the same spot more than 20 years ago and it was removed, no questions asked, on the NHS. It started to grow again about a year ago and It's now about 2 inches across and domed. A few weeks ago I asked my present doctor about removal. He told me that it was benign and wouldn't now be removed on the NHS. Judging by the posts here that isn't true. Am I missing something? Should I see another doctor or insist on being treated or is it to do with where you live? I live in Berkshire by the way. Thanks for any help.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a cyst on my face and was told it could not be removed on the NHS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure