What happens if i declare my car as sorn?

misskaytee
misskaytee Posts: 738
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 15 November 2010 at 1:02PM in Motoring
Hi, can anyone advise me please....

My car is due its MOT in early Dec, the mot place warned me last year that this year my car is proberly going to cost me around £350 + to get it through the mot.

Now i know i should of been planning for this but i haven't and now i pretty sure im not going to beable to afford to get its MOT,car TAX is also due at the end of jan, which i also can't afford at the moment:(

my question is if i declare my car SORN and dont use the car ( i have a private driveway) for a few months while i get myself back on my feet, can i then, when i have some cash in a few months time get the mot and tax? is it has simple as that? I Forgot to add that i quite like the idea of having the mot in feb/march instead of just before christmas which as always been a worry

any ideas? Thanks
Everyday im shufflin':dance: Proud Padder ~ All Hail The Power of Pad

Comments

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    No problem as long as the car is kept off road, and on your driveway.
  • djheath
    djheath Posts: 453
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes simple as that.

Declare car sorn. - send the sorn part to dvla. They will write to you and say it is sorned.

Park car on drive, or other private land.

Wait!

When you come to renew tax/mot,
    First get Insurance.
    Then go and get MOT from an MOT garage where you have booked the appointment.
    Then go and get tax.
    Then go get a cup of tea.

Job done.
  • bigblackdog
    bigblackdog Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    you can do the sorn onlinline at dvla , they then send a confirmation letter through the post , i did mine about a month after the tax ran out as i wasn't sure wether to tax the car again
    my favourite food is spare ribs
  • Well thats a relief! Thanks for your replies.

one more question : with insurance i currently have 10 years no claims will this be affected if i dont renew, this is also due for renewal in Jan?
  • djheath
    djheath Posts: 453
    Forumite
    misskaytee wrote: »
    Well thats a relief! Thanks for your replies.

one more question : with insurance i currently have 10 years no claims will this be affected if i dont renew, this is also due for renewal in Jan?

I think you lose it if you stop having insurance. I am not sure on that one, so either confirm with your insurance company, or I am sure someone will tell you here.
  • djheath wrote: »
    I think you lose it if you stop having insurance. I am not sure on that one, so either confirm with your insurance company, or I am sure someone will tell you here.

Oh No! I hope not or thats that plan down the pan.
    I really dont want to lose 10 years no claims:(

My current insurers have sent me a letter last week stating they will not be able to provide insurance to me for next year, they dont state as too why not, and nothing as changed from my side, although they are more accustomed to insuring vintage and show cars than normal cars from what i can gather, so maybe this has something to do with it.

so i would have to find a new insurer anyway, i do have a letter from current insurers stating that im intitled to 10 years no claims as proof to new insurers.
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924
    Forumite
    You have two years to buy another insurance policy before you lose your NCB.

What problem did the car have that the garage can estimate 12 months in advance? Yet still be safe to use on the road?
  • I believe your NCD will be valid for 2 years after the expiry of your current insurance. But it might depend on the insurance company.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Most insurers allow a break of up to 2 years before you lose your NCD.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,822
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Apply for a refund for the unused months tax, saves a few pounds

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012526
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure