URGENT HELP NEEDED! Argan Oil Fraud

Options
j1n
j1n Posts: 81 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 November 2012 at 4:17PM in Shop but don't drop
MSE Insert: Our Warning - free skincare trials may be subscription trap news story has some tips that may help.

Back to the original post...

Don't know where to post this..

I ordered a £3.99 bottle of Argan oil and now I have had an order receipt for £83.80 and the bank says it can't stop the payment.

How do I stop it? Otherwise they will bill and charge me this amount every month....HELP PLEASE!

i am not normally a gullible person, but I have been had this this :mad:

Comments

• lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I assume they have your card details and will use that to take the payment.

Phoning your bank and claiming your card has been stolen will cancel the card and have a new one generated with different details.

You'll need to have a credit card/cash to get you through the next week without a card though.

If the payment has already bee requested I'm not sure there's anything you can do except return the items you receive and wait for a refund.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Where / who did you order this with and have you contacted their customer services dept? It could be a genuine error on their side rather than ripping you off intentionally. Did your bank confirm the amount is pending to go out of your account?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First of all, whats the site/place that you purchased this?

Have you reported this to the police as a theft? Have you contacted Trading Standards to report them? Consumer Rights may be able to help further with advice as to what you can do legally.

When you have the crime reference number, this is what you need to go to your bank with, this may help in terms of reclaiming any money.

If you made an order, were you sent a receipt or some form of contract terms and conditions?
  • j1n
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I ordered it off a website (can't remember which one) but I spoke with the bank and they said that I can close my account completely and open a new one and set up all the DDs and SOs again. Reporting my card as lost will still let the payment through, according to the bank.
    I found a number on the invoice that they sent me and I have called them to cancel the order and I now have an email from them confirming this and also I have a reference number. I did send them an email saying that I will be reporting this to the police, but I haven't yet.
    I will just have to keep an eye on my bank transactions everyday and see what happens. I might have to close my account and open a new one. I can't see any other way of cancelling the payments, if one does get through. However, I will try and call them again tomorrow although it seems like they have an automated service only. The address on the invoice is Florida!:mad:
    I will keep you all posted and hope this does not turn into a police matter.
    thanks again.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its similar scam as those acai berry things once you give them permission or authorisation to take money you cant stop payments, they are clever about this they often hide discretely how payments are made only way is to stop your card
  • j1n
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »

Thanks Savemoney. So many people have been caught out by them!:mad:

I think the best course of action for me is to talk to my bank in the morning, close my bank account and open a new one. I can't see any other way out of this one.

Thanks again.
  • j1n
    Options
    I have just received this email from them:
    Dear Sir/Madam,

If your email inquiry pertains to CANCELLING your shipment or your account, please note that we DO NOT cater to these requests via email. Here are the options we have for cancellations:
    1. Calling our Toll Free number at 1-866-881-1391 <[URL="tel:1-800-964-4593"]tel:1-800-964-4593[/URL]>
    to speak with a representative
    2. Calling our Toll Free number at 1-866-881-1391 <tel:
    1-800-964-4593> and press the number 1 to cancel your account via IVR
    3. Visit our website at
    www.essenceofargan.com and click on the easy
    cancel button

If your are inquiring about our product, we will contact you by priority on which this email was received. For urgent matters, we highly recommend that you contact our Customer Service team at 1-866-881-1391, they are ready to help you from Mondays to Fridays, between 8:00am to 11:00pm and Saturdays, between 9:00am to 6:00pm (EST).

Please take note that if your account is still within the trial period, you will be required to return a portion of your last shipment with an RMA number which we must issue to avoid further charges. Please contact customer service if you are uncertain of the return policy or if you have any questions pertaining to returns.
    If you do not hear back from us within one (1) business day, please call our Toll Free Number at 1-866-881-1391 (US and Canada) or +4408712846563 (UK) and we will confirm your account status.
    Best,
    Essence of Argan Customer Service Team
    Available Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 11:00pm or Saturday 9:00am-6:00pm (EST)

I have gone back into their site and cancelled the order. It has come up saying the order is cancelled and I have taken a screen shot of it and saved it for future reference. However, I will be giving the UK guys a call tomorrow and confirm, once again, that the order is cancelled. If they want me to send the original back to them, I will gladly do so at my expense - better than paying £83+! I can't believe that someone could do this and the banks can not help at all.

A lesson well learnt!!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, you mention you haven't reported this to the police yet, can I ask why? Its very easy to do this and you are more likely to get anything back from the bank if you do this. The non emergency number is 101 or altrernatively call your local branch. Waiting for them to beg for mercy and refund you is by the looks of things, very unlikely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure