"CITYMAIN ADMINISTR" bank account charge

Comments

• plinkykev
    plinkykev Posts: 43 Forumite
    B*ggers! Just saw this on my statement for last month and wondered who they were (or what my missus had signed me up for!). Thankfully was the first one. Got my phone and apparently it had a 3-month free insurance, so this must be it now kicking-in. Annoyed I never cancelled it previously, but happy it was only one months worth - phew!
    Always after a bargain... :-)
  • jrgart
    jrgart Posts: 3 Newbie
    Cheers guys - got caught out on this also for the last couple of months. But as mentioned previously, they very cooperative and happy to cancel my direct debit.
  • jicms
    jicms Posts: 482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Me too, I stupidly took out the free offer from Buymobilephones. I put a reminder on my new (hate it) Nokia 5800, but as the calendar display's so feeble I didn't see it.

I will phone to cancel tomorrow and delete the DD from my bank account. I might check how many weeks I have left for my £5.99 as I may as well keep it till the last minute. It would be annoying if anything happened to my phone after cancelling.
  • Thanks for that, i have been wondering about this charge for a while now and have finally got rid of it. The number has changed from the 0870 one to 08445762300
  • kolin_2
    kolin_2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    jicms wrote: »
    Me too, I stupidly took out the free offer from Buymobilephones. I put a reminder on my new (hate it) Nokia 5800, but as the calendar display's so feeble I didn't see it.

I will phone to cancel tomorrow and delete the DD from my bank account. I might check how many weeks I have left for my £5.99 as I may as well keep it till the last minute. It would be annoying if anything happened to my phone after cancelling.

i on the otherhand didn't take out the free insurance offer (nor did i want it), but yet it's all still been set up without my consent. (if i log into buymobilephones account, it is showing as free insurance:yes) i have had no confirmation either in paper or email about this 'insurance' it's not on any sales invoice or email confirmation. to say i'm angry isn't halfway there.

anyway, i'm going to get in touch with citymain today.
  • puddings_2
    puddings_2 Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Like Kolin, I didnt take out the free insurance offer and can see nothing about it on my paperwork.
    It's not that there is small print to read... more like invisible print!
    I'm just glad it was only 5.99 and was only 1 month. Anyway it's cancelled now.
    Grrr
  • I've just noticed this on my last statement. Fortunately it looks like they have only taken one payment so far. I have no contract with these guys and I never agreed to set up a direct debit with them so it should be no problem to get my bank to refund it, just out of principle really, I can't stand people making money like this. It's basically fraudulent imo.

Just slightly concerned it could affect my credit rating somehow.. is that possible? I know in terms of credit history, consumer rights and fairness don't really apply..
  • Jimby509
    Jimby509 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    AAAARRRGGGGG these jokers got me as well. £5.99. Okay not much but it soooooo winds me up that every time I get a phone contract some random company takes my cash via direct debit without my permision.

I cancelled and am really going to chase this up, how dare they? It is equal to theft.
  • The toe-rags got me too, this is the first (and last) payment from me though.

The number is now 0844576232020!!!!

They sound like they are on the run to me with all those changes. The girl on the phone just cancelled it there and then so it clearly is really common. I went back to my mobile phone form and there is a statement on it that says:

"Following your acceptance of the insurance, the first three months of which are free, you have agreed to the terms and conditions of the policy copy which is enclosed".

I am really careful with insurance and never take it out and I bought this policy online so I know I was not offered it, so I am not sure it is entirely legal to then send you a letter saying you have accepted it and that you have to opt out.

If they are getting £5.99 a month, even just once, from hundreds of people they are making a killing, it makes me sick.

For information, mine is from a T-Mobile contract via buymobilephones.net so watch out!
    :mad:
  • ik1
    ik1 Posts: 150 Forumite
    well I recently got a contract phone from buymobilephones and they have signed me up for the insurance although I am sure I took it off on the order. Anyway I was thinking whether I should continue the free term of 3 months and just cancel or should I just cancel under the 14 days?

Is my understanding correct in that I could cancel anytime even couple of days before insurance is due to begin or do I need to give any notice. for example if my 1st day begins today could I cancel on the 88/89th day assuming 30 days in a month.

Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport