Paraffin

Comments

• w50nky
    w50nky Posts: 418 Forumite
    I have been using heating oil (kerosene) from my bulk tank in my greenhouse heater over winter after calling into a major diy store and finding the cost of "proper" fuel.

There is a smell from the burner when you blow out the flame, you get the same smell if you do not adjust the flame to the correct burn rate too - (to high).
    The other side effect seems to be that you have to trim your wick more often as it gets contaminated after several nights use. No great hardship & the cost of wicks will easily be covered by the savings on running costs.

This is money saving after all so I will continue to use next winter/spring unless I can find a bulk source of paraffin.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you! :dance:
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Reselling electricity is not illegal, but there are restrictions on how much can be charged for it.
    Ofgem produced the ‘Maximum Resale Price Provisions' document during 2002. It deals primarily with the resale of electricity and standing charges by landlords and others such as park owners. In essence the reseller simply cannot charge the consumer any more than he himself pays the main supplier.
    http://www.phhc.co.uk/advice/legalhelp/445732/mobile-home-holiday-caravan-legal-expert-advice-on-electricity-resale.html

Also see http://www.stephenpwales.co.uk/service%20folder/ofgem.htm for a lot of info. Basically, whether units or charges are metered or apportioned by any other means, the landlord cannot charge more than his direct cost, and his scheme of charging must be made available to tenants.

Also note
    All electricity meters used for either domestic or commercial applications must conform to current European regulations. These standards for meters manufactured in the UK are governed by Ofgem (The Office of Gas & Electricity Markets).
    ALL meters used for billing MUST conform to the European standard BS EN61036 and backed up with formal Approval Documentation.
    http://universalmeterservices.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=page_3

So if the landlord is metering using uncertified/uncalibrated meters he is breaking the law.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    And disconnection of your supply by the landlord would almost certainly be harassment.
  • bobhawke
    bobhawke Posts: 359 Forumite
    Reselling electricity is not illegal, but there are restrictions on how much can be charged for it.

http://www.phhc.co.uk/advice/legalhelp/445732/mobile-home-holiday-caravan-legal-expert-advice-on-electricity-resale.html

Also see http://www.stephenpwales.co.uk/service%20folder/ofgem.htm for a lot of info. Basically, whether units or charges are metered or apportioned by any other means, the landlord cannot charge more than his direct cost, and his scheme of charging must be made available to tenants.

Also note

http://universalmeterservices.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=page_3

So if the landlord is metering using uncertified/uncalibrated meters he is breaking the law.

It's a shame that doesn't apply to gas cylinders. Caravan parks make a killing on them :mad:
  • bobhawke wrote: »
    It's a shame that doesn't apply to gas cylinders. Caravan parks make a killing on them :mad:

But you don't have to buy cylinders from the park. Wired in electric you do.
  • Oh well, it's almost winter again, and I went to the same store where I bought paraffin last winter for £1.10p per litre (up from the £1.00 the previous year), and now the price is £1.30. So I thought I would try to resurrect this old thread just in case any new reader might know where I can buy 25 litres of the stuff for a more reasonable price. Anyone?
  • oysterman
    oysterman Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You should be able to buy paraffin from a local oil supplier, but the mininmum they will deliver is 500 litres. I deliver in east anglia & we deliver it quite often.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Just a quick query.
    I have an outside tank that holds kerosene to supply heating and hot water to my home.
    Is the kerosene that is used, (kerosene 28, I believe) the same as paraffin?
    Can I use paraffin to top up the tank?

The reason I ask, is that sometimes I only want to order 300 - 400 litres of kerosene, (tend to use the company Bolierjuice) but it seems there is nowhere that has this flexibility...it always has to be minimum 500 litres.

Any advice appreciated.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just a quick query.
    I have an outside tank that holds kerosene to supply heating and hot water to my home.
    Is the kerosene that is used, (kerosene 28, I believe) the same as paraffin?
    Can I use paraffin to top up the tank?

The reason I ask, is that sometimes I only want to order 300 - 400 litres of kerosene, (tend to use the company Bolierjuice) but it seems there is nowhere that has this flexibility...it always has to be minimum 500 litres.

Any advice appreciated.

As far as I know then paraffin is a more refined ( and therefore costly)version of plain old 28 kerosene

Heating oil ( kerosene 28) is around 44p litre
    According to gbloon paraffin is 110p a litre

Its kind of a no brainer really
  • suki1964 wrote: »
    As far as I know then paraffin is a more refined ( and therefore costly)version of plain old 28 kerosene

Heating oil ( kerosene 28) is around 44p litre
    According to gbloon paraffin is 110p a litre

Its kind of a no brainer really

That was last winter. This winter it is 130p. I have only been able to find one store within about 25 miles that sells it "loose". Otherwise pre-pack is available at an even higher price. Obviously I do not have a 500 litre tank.

I wish I could find someone within 25 miles who uses that 28 kerosene for heating and would sell me about 25 litres of it from the tank for a reasonable price - say 65p, which is half what I am paying now. I am in Lechlade, Glos.

Anyone?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport