PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £2.37 on a loaf od (reduced) bread and 2 Warburtons pack of 12 rolls ( 2 for £2) which had damn well better last the week!
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well, bread and milk were topped up today. Had (oven) fish and chips with peas and sweetcorn for dinner. I'm having to be very careful at the moment, as I've a massive mouth ulcer opposite my bottom left tooth, so eating is a challenge. Will need another bottle of milk by the weekend, but that's all. I'm still hopeful our tenner will last until the end of the month, as we have everything in we need.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Popped into Mr Ms today and spent just under a tenner mainly on salad and cooking oil. Managed to get the kids "keep"off of them(all of £10 a week each) They pay this fortnightly when they get their jobseekers allowance but I don't count it as income in case it is stopped for any unknown reason.
    Now informed we have a guest tomorrow until Thurs evening so will need to take them out. I already have 2 for 1 cinema voucher and have just printed off 2 for 1 at Bella Italia-otherwise its a free desert at Harvester.
    I need to look at their menus carefully and see if there is anything edible on my diet. Got out all of my trousers which I could wear 2 years ago and tried them on tonight for inspiration(desperation). I have 3 hangers which I might label, 1,2 and 3 in order of which ones will fit first. I will have a busy day tomorrow as DH has his car MOT and Ive got to take dd to bike shops-still looking for her late Xmas present. Still deep cleaning the kitchen and trying to declutter at the same time-I am working my way around it but because it is small and limited storage space its shifting stuff about all the time.
    One job done tonight-altered one pair of trusers for work and hemmed another which needed repairing.

One more pair to hem
    3 knitting projects to finish

Youngest dds coat went in the washing machine rather than the cleaners as it is rather worn out. It came up fine on a short 30 deg wash and it is a woolmix coat. I was worried it could lose it s shape but it looks as [STRIKE]good [/STRIKE]shabby as ever!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Miss_Liquorice
    Options
    I have spotted a fundamental flaw in my February budget... keeping track of everything! This is such a learning curve, I can keep track of all the big shops and everything on the cards, but keeping track of that chocolate bar heading home from uni or energy drinks to take to work is not going quite as well. Oops. =/ I have a rough figure as to how I'm doing though (just over halfway through my budget for the month), so I should be in a better place for starting again next month.

Does anyone have something like a grocery purse they use for all their food spending? Or is it just me unable to keep track of things?
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone have something like a grocery purse they use for all their food spending? Or is it just me unable to keep track of things?

If I'm out and want to note something I use the voice recorder facility on my mobile; my dd has a note keeping facility (+ reminder) on her mobile; do you have anything like that on your phone? ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Miss_Liquorice
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    If I'm out and want to note something I use the voice recorder facility on my mobile; my dd has a note keeping facility (+ reminder) on her mobile; do you have anything like that on your phone? ;)

I have a Blackberry, so I can email myself, write notes, make voice notes, email myself using voice notes, tweet about it... I just forget that technology such as this is supposed to be useful rather than another shiny toy! :p Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely have to try that one =)
  • scotsaver
    Options
    elizabunny - could you please post your Oxtail Stew recipe, I've started shopping at the Butchers and noticed that they sell Oxtail so would love to give this a go, especially if I can turn the leftovers into Oxtail Soup as this is OH's favourite Soup but too expensive.;)

nmlc - how lucky are you to live in a Village like that with fresh F&V on your doorstep, especially at those prices - you must tell us where you live so that we can all relocate.:p Even more determined to grow more of our own this year as it makes such a difference to the Budget and you can't get fresher.

starflower - congrats on the Raffle prizes and also your goodies from MIL.

Must try and spend some time in the Kitchen today, run out of Hobnobs and need to make some Sausage rolls and a quiche and a pizza for friends coming over for lunch tomorrow and some Muffins and and and and and ......... - OMG how much do the kids eat when they are on Half Term.:eek:

Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• mumofjusttwo
    Options
    Went to Asda on Monday and spent £65. Will amend my details. Also spent 5.90 at the cinema yesterday :nono:
    January Grocery 11/374
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have two main purses- one with all grocery money in, plus all my cards (I keep my 'reward cards such as Clubcard near the grocery money, and my other cards have always lived in there!)
    Second one has other different money in sections and also misc. loose change.
    I have another purse which is used when money is taken from one of my categories not in the other purses (less common things like holiday spends etc).
    Also meant to say yesterday, for those who use nappies: Tesco has Pampers on offer, the small packs (38-32 depending on size) are £3.98. I think there is also an offer on Tesco own nappies at 3 for £10 (although could be slightly different as I just glanced at it). We [STRIKE]use real nappies mostly but like to have sposies incase[/STRIKE] have now gone to using sposies full time. I think we did quite well using them for 20 months (well minus the 5 days in hospital and a couple of holidays!) but with my back the hanging up loads of washing does not help, and by not using real nappies it takes out about 3 loads a week- anyway I mananged to get a 32 (or is it 34) pack of size 4+ for £1.98 (£3.98 offer minus a £2 Pampers voucher I had). ETA (20/2/9) I see they have the 25% bigger 4+ pack (40) for the same price so got 2 of those (paying nothing as had a Tesco CC £7 and another Pampers £1 voucher).
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all

Scotsaver - I live in the Fens (near the Wash in the East of England), the work here is mostly low paid or agricultural. The nearest big city is Peterborough or further to the East Kings Lynn. Lots of people have moved here as house prices are low, but of course jobs (if you can find one) pay much less than the national average - there's always a catch isn't there!
    Hoping still to be around budget but now looking less likely as needed milk and yoghurts were on offer in Mr L yesterday (should be £2.96 down to £1.50 for a pack of 6 corners - well in date to 15 March). Will still try to come in at budget though.

Have a good day everyone, keep going, you're all an inspiration.

Keep safe.
    nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills