Arthroplex "medicine" warning

Just received a magazine insert for Arthroplex, alleged to be a rheumatism cure. This firm in the Netherlands is running a big UK sales drive this month.

I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole. Look at the X-ray pics in the flyer and even worse the day 1 to day 68 'progress' pics. Does anyone believe such improvement could be attained by a few months' taking plant extract?

Like anyone, I would pay or do anything to relieve the pain of my wife's arthritis. This snake oil certainly won't do anything except make money for those who are peddling it.

If you really must try this stuff, I suggest you pay by cheque. Do NOT give these people your credit card details.

Comments

• Alison_Yates
    Alison_Yates Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 27 April 2012 at 9:10PM
    Thank you for mentioning the Arthroplex. My 79 year old Dad fell for the ad, which was inserted into the Radio Times at the beginning of March. He paid a cheque ... over £100 ... for tablets and gel, and posted the cheque and the form off to the Netherlands. He received the gel soon after, but to date he has not received the tablets. The cheque was cashed more than a month ago. I've tried to find out who this company is on the internet, but the address doesn't appear to exist. Can anyone shed any light on the matter? My Dad is usually a very together and alert individual, but his arthritis is getting the better of him and he said 'he was willing to try anything'. I feel so angry on my Dad's behalf. Oh, and the gel is absolutely useless and has NOT made a jot of difference. BEWARE EVERYONE!
  • I'm a doctor and even though I've a fairly open mind to alternatives this stuff, for which I've just had a flier from the caravan club, is untested (I have searched the medical literature today) and clearly making ridiculous claims for efficacy so great that if it was true they wouldn't need to advertise as the word would spread patient to patient in arthritis clinics and they wouldn't be able to make it fast enough! My advice would be never buy by post from outside the UK.
  • ellay864
    ellay864 Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    From what I can see this product is only licensed as a veterinary product.
  • Darlyd
    Darlyd Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    OH DEAR!

I have been searching for ages to find something that will help with the first signs of arthritis, it's really horrid. :(
  • Cider apple vinegar, Darly, it's meant to be amazing at reducing the inflammation. One tablespoon daily. (I've been retaining the info since I was a teenager in case I ever get arthritis)
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • Totally agree creaky joints post. I ordered 3 tubes of gel 9NEVER RECEIVED0 and 3 packs of tablets (only one received) . Theitr custmer service is a joke, virtuak=lly never reply and when they do they dont ever accept any responsibility and refuse to help. £100 down the drain. Hve complained to publication leafet was in (Saga magazine without response.Dont waste money ordering this product.
  • WolfSong2000
    WolfSong2000 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    For those that are having issues with arthritis...rosehip tea and also green lipped mussel may provide some relief...also, magnetic bracelets seem to work very well for some people. Not saying it's guaranteed to work, but have personally seen improvements with some individuals who have used these.
  • FrugalFranny
    FrugalFranny Posts: 150 Forumite
    I had a similar bit of junk mail claiming to completely regenerate ruined knee joints in one of those "Best Of" leaflets that are sent to me, wish I'd kept it to send to the anti-scam peeps.
    It claimed to heal knee joints 100%.....!?....with a cartoon of ruined knees joints and a "Hey presto!" picture of perfect knee joints one month later.
    If only!
    ~"I don't cook so much since we moved out of reality...."~
  • This one is not for dogs! There appear to be several different tablets with the same name when you Google Arthroplex. This one is mostly MSM which I have seen recommended for joints elsewhere. It also contains some well known pain relieving herbs such as arnica, devil's claw, bromelain. So no magic bullet! It's probably no worse or better than the myriad of other products advertised. I tried my first capsule today so can't give an opinion. Like many other people I've tried lots of these things and some of them seem to help a bit, or it might be my imagination. One lives in hope. So far the best "cure" for me is giving up beef which makes my joints inflamed - probably due to my IBS. Different people find different foods cause them problems, apparently. I suspect there are many different causes of arthritis which makes it difficult to generalise. Good luck!
  • Notyetavet
    Notyetavet Posts: 5 Forumite
    I've spent a fortune over the years on all types of arthritic reliefs and not a one works. I have even been told that my doctors are nothing but chemical sales people. I now spend quite a time on the net to find proof that these plant extracts work. The only one I can recommend - if you follow your doctor's advise- is aspirin. I gave hundreds of pounds worth of Glucosamine to a friends horse. So far she hasn't said anything either way, the mare that is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure