PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Wheat free recipes and ideas

Comments

• I'll give the spelt a go! Thanks for all your help!
  • torridon_2
    torridon_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    I've made loaves with it in my breadmaker using a short program. It comes out with slightly dense, crumb like texture (a bit like soda bread) but is very edible.

I think it would be lighter if you made it by hand and could control the "rise".

It's certainly a lot better and cheaper than the wheat-free breads I've tried from the supermarket.

I have a friend with a wheat allergy and she used to be able to buy spelt bread from a local deli but that was probably made by a local baker.
  • You could take a look http://www.atkins.com/recipes on the Atkins site-there are a lot of recipes which may be suitable. Dont be put off by the fact that its Atkins!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    torridon wrote:
    Have you tried spelt flour? It is an ancient variety of wheat which a lot of people with wheat allergies can tolerate. Doves Farm make it and you can buy it in larger supermarkets.

Lots of info here:
    Doves farm

It is more expensive than normal bread flour, about £1.20 per kilo, but has a really lovely taste.

Spelt is a high gluten flour so may set off other allergies.

Soo (gluten free as I have coeliac disease)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I like the Village Bakery's Sourdough Rye bread. It's also yeast-free. They also sell a gluten-free bread but I've never tried it. They rye bread is not like the German sliced stuff. It's heavier than wholemeal but looks like a proper loaf and does not have all the grains like the German stuff.

https://www.village-bakery.com

There is a stockist search and you can buy online.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've just made a wheat/gluten/egg/milk free victoria sandwich with the Trufree cake mix (there's enough to make 2 whole cakes/12 fairy cakes or a date & banana loaf).

I must admit I did put an egg in as it says it rises better with that in. It came out lovely :j

Downside I guess is that sugar is at the top of the ingredients list! icon11.gif

Other ingredients;
    maize/potato starch
    rice flour
    sodium bicarb/potassium bitartrate
    stabiliser
    niacin
    iron powder
    thiamin/riboflavin/vit B6

Oh and made in factory using nuts.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • thanks! I've found tesco as much as I don't like them are doing a wide range of stuff and found they do a small jar of xanthum gum much cheaper than i've seen it before, it also has a little bread recipe on the side so may give that a go as well!
  • savvy
    Yeah it seems to be in fits and starts with them...........found wheat free pizza bases the other day in there, yet they have definately reduced the organic/wheat free section icon9.gif
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • juniper1
    juniper1 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Hi, I've been wheat free & grain free for 20 years now. I could write a book on it. I'm afraid though that you will never be able to make bread which is like normal bread. Some of the gluten free mixes work well in the bread maker. They've been tried & tested by the experts. I buy the rice bread which sainsbury's now sell and yes it is expensive at around £3 but I only have it for a treat and a whole loaf lasts me a week. Its best toasted. In fact its inedible unless toasted. I haven't had any for quite a few weeks. Rice cakes are good with a soft cheese or pate but watch the latter as it may contain wheat. One of the best investments I made was a book called The Everyday Wheat-Free & Gluten Free cookbook by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson. You may be able to pick one up on Ebay or Amazon.
    Its got alot of good cake recipes and the pasta recipe is excellent.
    Other than that I experiment. I mix flours. I use potato, rice & gram. I buy them from a corner shop that has everything in bins and you pay per kilo. I make my own pizza bases which are thin & crispy from a mixture of the 3 flours. Pastry is good with rice & gram flour. In fact gram flour is excellent for alot of wheat free cooking.
    I collect recipes whenever I see them. I have a huge basket with all my recipes sorted into type, ie chicken recipes/beef recipes, etc,. This way I always have a choice.
    As you will know bought sauces & packet mixes are out of the question but most are very easy to copy. Use potato flour for thickening sauces but treat it like you would cornflour by mixing it with a little water before adding it to the sauce and liquid.
    The only foods that I really miss are chinese. Homemade chinese is not the same as a takeaway. Indian food is usually fine as they use ingredients like tomato or almonds or cream to thicken. Always ask or find out how things are made. Above all enjoy cooking & experimenting.
  • savvy
    Just found The Everyday Wheat-Free & Gluten Free cookbook by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson on Amazon £7.25 icon12.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure