A4e & JSA Sanction

slight dilemma and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

Daughter is unemployed and is required to attend A4e in addition to signing on. Generally, such appointments are usually non-productive they either tell her that she should of had a letter telling her it had been cancelled, or they just tell her to sign a chitty to declare that she is still out of work. I've lost count how many times this has happened.

Moving on, having attended A4e for approx 9 months now, today she received a letter from DWP stating that A4e had informed them that she failed to attend on 24th Jan this year, and therefore without good reason from her, her JSA would be sanction.

Her appointment was in fact on 22nd Jan, of which she attended. Anyway, just so happens that my daughter was due to attend A4e today whereupon she had it out with them. Turns out that the advisor she saw on the 22nd failed in her duty to inform my daughter that she needed to also attend on the 24th, and has indeed held her hands up to this. "I'm always doing it", she told my daughter.

Nonetheless, what my daughter told me next has left me somewhat concerned. The A4e advisor whilst holding her hands up, has instructed my daughter to respond to the DWP by stating that she went for an interview at a 'named' establishment (a school) and that she had informed her A4e advisor. In return, when the DWP contact her, (the A4e advisor) she will say that this was the case. In other words lie.

I've expressed my concerns to my daughter and have said that if the DWP contact the named school, my daughter will be up sh*t creek without a paddle. In addition, what if the advisor turns turtle on her? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but am I naive in thinking that honesty is the best policy?

Thanks

Comments

• von
    von Posts: 541
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It seems that the A4E adviser is asking your daughter to lie to cover up for the fact that she failed to advise your daughter of her appointment on 24th January.
    I would advise your daughter to ask for an urgent reconsideration of the sanction decision on the basis of what you have just said in your post and supply the adviser's name. Honesty is the best policy.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    von wrote: »
    It seems that the A4E adviser is asking your daughter to lie to cover up for the fact that she failed to advise your daughter of her appointment on 24th January.
    I would advise your daughter to ask for an urgent reconsideration of the sanction decision on the basis of what you have just said in your post and supply the adviser's name. Honesty is the best policy.

In addition, make an official complaint to A4E.
  • Poppa_G
    Poppa_G Posts: 100 Forumite
    thank you for the rapid response, I told her honesty was the best policy. However, she seems convinced that if she is honest she will be sanctioned, I might add, a seed planted by the advisor.

Thanks ever so much
  • maybe also report this to your local MP?
  • Know what you mean about the lies, my work programme is run by prospects, after going to the induction I kept getting letters telling me to go to the induction and each time I phoned to say I had been I was told to just ignore them, then I was told they will ring up DWP to sanction my benefits.

After sorting it out I was told I would get a phone interview at 9am, 9.30 came and no call so I phoned them, she said she forgot, brilliant! She said as I had put in an appeal there wasn't much she could do for me but had to make these calls every 2 weeks, then she said she was going to put down that I am going for long walks every day to get excercise, I told her that I don't go out due to mobility problems so that would be a lie.

She said she had to put something and that's what she will put. This is just great as she will make me out to be a liar, the DWP will think I am commiting fraud as I put my illness on the form stating I have mobility problems and now she is going to tell them I'm going for long walks.
  • ArtoDeeto
    ArtoDeeto Posts: 344 Forumite
    Are you serious. Firstly she can't be sanctioned unless she signed for the appointment letter.
    Secondly tell her no way to go along with that, she merely needs to tell the truth, if it was me that A4e advisor would be on Jobseekers Allowance rather quickly...
    111222 Posts: 245 Forumite
    She will probably automatically be sanctioned, that's either 2 or 4 weeks without JSA, think it changed to 4 weeks a while back, what you do is fill in a reconsideration form, this comes before an appeal. If this is the case about the adviser, then get her to write a signed note/letter then fill in the reconsideration form also attaching the note. I would phone up the job center and 'drop' the fact that your adviser forgot, they will tell you to get the written note and you can use this when you talk to the adviser.

She will likely be sanctioned anyway though but will be able to get 'refunded' after the decision is overturned. I doubt you will stop the sanction from going through though. A few months back reconsideration took a few months but apparently now it's a lot quicker.
  • Get to your local MP, they usually have monthly surgeries and it is the only recourse you have with A4E. Jobcentre will not/cannot help you whatsoever and complaining to A4E wont help either. I have been to see my MP and it made them jump to doing something, unfortunately the urgency wore off and I am going to have to go see him again.
    And for people that haven't dealt with A4E they can do whatever they want. The advisors will have their way way wether you like it or not or wether it is of any use to you. There are obviously some better and worse than others, but the whole system is a farce.
  • missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd have expected that A4e would have received so much bad publicity by now that they'd have changed their name to something more acceptable and reassuring.

Like Windscale. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport