ppi payment care abbey national mis sold

hi can someone advise on the following.

we took out a mortgage in feb 2003 and ended a 5 year capped rate in august 2007 which we had to pay an early redemption fee. :mad: we took abbeys house insurance and payment care out at the time as we were "advised" they would be beneficial by the abbey representative. We also had a term assurance and critical illness policy which ran with scottish widows for that term.

Now i was self employed at the time and employed as a company director of a limited company from 2005 through the end of the term and still am today.

What im really asking is do i have a case for being miss sold as i dont believe we could have claimed on the policy. all the above were joint policies.ive checked the advice on here and have filled in the questionaire and am just seeking some reassurance.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• savcab
    savcab Posts: 51 Forumite
    Anybody any advise?
  • savcab
    Am i best to email Abbey first or go down the postal route? Also would it be better to ask for the SAr thing as i dont have a copy of the original agreement to double check the empolyment status at the time.

thanks
  • I have recently had a claim upheld for an Abbey Paymentcare policy that we took out in 2001, I called them and logged my complaint over the phone and was paid all the premiums and 8% interest back in less than 2 weeks.

The complaints number is 0845 600 6014 (option 2, 4 then 2 which takes you through directly to the PPI team)

Hope that helps.
  • savcab
    Just had letter from santander offering to settle claim £1200.. All payments plus 8% interest. Interest is nearly half the original payments cost.Only phoned just over a week ago. Well chuffed with that. Didn't expect as much back either. Thanks to this site as I wouldn't have bothered claiming. Wife has the money spent though already.LOL
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    :j:jWell done :beer:
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have recently had a claim upheld for an Abbey Paymentcare policy that we took out in 2001, I called them and logged my complaint over the phone and was paid all the premiums and 8% interest back in less than 2 weeks.

The complaints number is 0845 600 6014 (option 2, 4 then 2 which takes you through directly to the PPI team)

Hope that helps.
    :jWell done to you too :beer:
  • Hi all,
    I took out a paymentcare policy in 2004 after the abbey representative worked his scare tactics ... "you're first time buyers, if you lose your jobs, this policy will cover your mortgage payments ... if you don't take it, it's a big risk... etc!" ...

We had the Payment care policy for 2 years and I'm now wondering if we have a claim. Only problem is, I have none of the original policy details or bank statements to back up my claim! :( can anyone tell me how I go about claiming this back? Do I need to get the paperwork from abbey (santander) first? I have my mortgage number but nothing for the policy ... can they trace the policy from my mortgage number!?

Any help or advice would be a big help thanks! :):)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I took out a paymentcare policy in 2004 after the abbey representative worked his scare tactics ... "you're first time buyers, if you lose your jobs, this policy will cover your mortgage payments ... if you don't take it, it's a big risk... etc!" ...

Excellent. That verifies the Abbey rep was doing their job correctly. They have a requirement to make you aware of the risks and you have verified they have done that.
    We had the Payment care policy for 2 years and I'm now wondering if we have a claim.

You havent given any indication of a reason for complaint. Plus, Abbey set their plans up correctly as monthly premium. So, no issues there either.
    can anyone tell me how I go about claiming this back?

Can you tell us why you think this was mis-sold?
    can they trace the policy from my mortgage number!?

Possibly not as MPPI is normally a standalone product. One of the reasons why MPPI has a much lower complaint rate.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    brown84 wrote: »
    Hi all,

The (voluntary) regulator for mortgages at the time, The Mortgage Code Compliance Board advocated doing just that on page 14 of its Good Practice Notes.

Doing what your regulator tells you to do is not a breach of its rules!
  • I have recently had a claim upheld for an Abbey Paymentcare policy that we took out in 2001, I called them and logged my complaint over the phone and was paid all the premiums and 8% interest back in less than 2 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Looked on this thread and thought I would give the number a ring to see where I stand

Basically had MPPI on our mortgage from March 2003 to August 2010 - at approx £38 per month.

The guy was really helpful and filed a claim there and then over the phone asking reason why I fest policy was mis-sold.

My view was that both my wife and I were employed by the NHS, Would get full sickpay , redundancy death in service through work.

Also stated that when taking the mortgage we were"pressured" into buying the policy and the inference was no ppi no mortgage.

Wondered how likely it is for the claim to be upheld?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure