PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Anzac_Biscuit
    Options
    Mouche,

how about just stewing the apples? If they need sweetening you can add some raisins, and they freeze well too:T Or apple crumble, just cut down on the crumble:)
    March 2020 grocery challenge $921.76/$500AU
    April 2020 grocery challenge $744/$800
    May 2020 GC $724.11/$750
    June 2020 GC $370.31/$700
    July 2020 GC $316.87/$700
  • naturally_2
    naturally_2 Posts: 398 Forumite
    Options
    Mouche - sorry I missed what type of apples, but if you core them, slit the skin all around and bung in the microwave with 1 desertspoon sweet mincemeat it makes a gorgeous desert and not many calories.

A NSD for me - feel mean as I have cash on me and a colleage asked me if he could borrow £2 for a sandwich but I said I had no cash - thing is that £2 makes a lot of difference to me and he's hit and miss about whether or not he pays me back, so I have stopped lending him money. Also several of us have realised we have been generous sharing our food when he forgets his, but he has never offered £ or returned the favour, so its horrible to be sneaky but I have had to make sure I hide the extra food I have (I usually keep a few yoghurts and cous cous or pasta & sauce at work for when I forget my own!) and now I'm after treating myself to a can of coke from the machine but just remembered I told him earlier I only had 10p so would be busted! doh! Oh well, its more MSE this way I suppose! :rotfl:
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Mouche - I'm in the same boat - trying to lose weight. This week I stewed some unwanted past their best apples with a little bit of sweetener (not sugar) and put some blackberries I'd picked in near the end (they go mushy if you stew them for the same amount of time as the apples). I had it as it was as a fruity desert or you could have it with some low fat yogurt to make it a bit creamy?

Nice and easy.
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just popped on to update sig. When to MrM's today again but only spent £6 on the 50p items I took my mother with me so we got 4 pks chicken, 4pks burgers & 4 pks sausages. So now I have 80 sausages, 40 burgers and 10pks of chicken. when I put them in freezer I also noticed I still have 20 chicken breasts, 3 pks 1kg mince and enought brad to last till xmas so I don't think I will need anymore meet for a good few months.

Anyone tell me how to make sausage rolls please I have sausages and puff pastery but is there any thing else you put in with the sausages?
    GC July £250/
  • nicnacnoo
    nicnacnoo Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    £68.05 spent today at the meat market, B&M, home bargains and Asda, got plenty tho, plus this includes toiletries and nappies so not bad i think, got loads of pasta and cupboard stuff so should only need fresh stuff for the rest of the month.
    Nic
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about using the apples in something savoury, perhaps a pork and apple casserole, you could use pork or pork sausages.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    turbo5019 wrote: »
    Anyone tell me how to make sausage rolls please I have sausages and puff pastery but is there any thing else you put in with the sausages?

I don't put anything else in. I skin the sausages and flatten them out a bit to make long sausage rolls. You can add some seasoning if you think the sausages need it (just a bit of black pepper should be fine)

Brush the pastry with milk and cut some slits in along the top - and make sure the join is underneath the sausage, or it can open during cooking:D

GT
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    I don't put anything else in. I skin the sausages and flatten them out a bit to make long sausage rolls. You can add some seasoning if you think the sausages need it (just a bit of black pepper should be fine)

Brush the pastry with milk and cut some slits in along the top - and make sure the join is underneath the sausage, or it can open during cooking:D

GT
    Thanks for that will give it ago tonight
    GC July £250/
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Been to |MrM and spent £4.80. Got the 50p chicken, beefburgers and potatoes. I'm going to have to watch myself here though because I haven't bought beefburgers for years and as I said earlier I have packs of sausages in the freezer now (and looked today for 50p ones but luckily for my health they had sold out). I had planned just eating butcher meat but am a sucker for these deals. Ah well, it's helping the grocery budget which \I've cut tight this month. My plan had been to make more veggie meals though. I'll just have to make sure I stretch this meat.
    w
  • Brighton_belle
    Brighton_belle Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    Options
    chell - I love your kiddie pics. My honorary nephew and neice were taught signing by their mum and it was brilliant - as someone else said, they got much less frustrated by being able to 'say' what they needed.

Bit scary that I have spent half my Aug budget in the first 5 days, but I think I have all the basics in and it just means topping up with fruit and veg mainly. This challenge is making me think before i buy, and not automatically top up as soon as I run out. Off to try the curry queens curry sauce this afternoon. And have load of spinach to use from friends allotment.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure