Best currency to take to Turkey?

Comments

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    simpywimpy wrote: »

If you are flying back from bodrum airport by any chance the bar prices are horrendous so take water - they let you through with it. Duty free was really cheap too.

You think Bodrum is bad?

Have you used Dalaman:eek:

I think its a little worse:mad:
  • DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    so guys

if its commison free to get euro travellers cheques but NOT commision free to get sterling cheques , is it worth getting euro cheques if your confident of using them all ? exchange rate wise at the turkish end i mean ?

Dan
  • whu
    whu Posts: 23,461
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MrsE wrote: »
    You think Bodrum is bad?

Have you used Dalaman:eek:

I think its a little worse:mad:
    agreed Dalaman is very expensive - definately take your own water etc
    Keep the Faith:cool:
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    DGJsaver wrote: »
    so guys

if its commison free to get euro travellers cheques but NOT commision free to get sterling cheques , is it worth getting euro cheques if your confident of using them all ? exchange rate wise at the turkish end i mean ?

Dan

If you are happy to carry your holiday money as cash (& use the hotel safe over there) then I think its got to be the easiest & cheapest way.
    You can source the best exchange rate yourself.

Even if you get them commission free this end, won't they charge you to chane them?
  • DGJsaver
    MrsE wrote: »
    If you are happy to carry your holiday money as cash (& use the hotel safe over there) then I think its got to be the easiest & cheapest way.
    You can source the best exchange rate yourself.

Even if you get them commission free this end, won't they charge you to chane them?

when we were there last year they didnt charge in the jewellers etc to change sterling travellers cheques

im just wondering if the rate the turks give for euros is better than for £ ???
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You get a far better rate locally than in the UK, the rate here today is 2.5 YTL= 1.00GBP.
  • DGJsaver
    ttoli wrote: »
    You get a far better rate locally than in the UK, the rate here today is 2.5 YTL= 1.00GBP.

hi

what is the euro to ytl rate at the moment ?
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Any advice on curency for Istanbul? Going there for one day on a cruise in August. Are pounds and Euros readily accepted there?
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Number one travellling tip I have ever been given.... GET A NATIONWIDE CURRENT ACCOUNT.....

Sorry to shout, but that is a seriously good tip...

Free cash withdrawals abroad at good rates. Add to that, from most cash machines I have used in turkey, you can choose to withdraw Lira, pounds or dollars.

Oh and it also means you can withdraw it as you need it so its more secure.

If you really can't do the above though, I would take GBP with a little bit of Lira for the first day until you find somewhere to change your cash to lira over there (NOT at hotel because crap rates).

Most shops and restaurants will accept lira, pounds, dollars or euros, but if you pay in anything other than what the bill is in (usually lira) be prepared for them to calculate at rubbish rates...
  • malid
    malid Posts: 360 Forumite
    MORPH3US wrote: »
    Number one travellling tip I have ever been given.... GET A NATIONWIDE CURRENT ACCOUNT.....

Sorry to shout, but that is a seriously good tip...

Free cash withdrawals abroad at good rates. Add to that, from most cash machines I have used in turkey, you can choose to withdraw Lira, pounds or dollars.

Oh and it also means you can withdraw it as you need it so its more secure.

If you really can't do the above though, I would take GBP with a little bit of Lira for the first day until you find somewhere to change your cash to lira over there (NOT at hotel because crap rates).

Most shops and restaurants will accept lira, pounds, dollars or euros, but if you pay in anything other than what the bill is in (usually lira) be prepared for them to calculate at rubbish rates...

Hi there, was just about to post re Nationwide Flexaccount and credit card but MORPH3US btea me to it. THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE ON THE MONEY FRONT. Using the flex card you can take out as little or as much as you want daily; there are plenty of ATMs. Most hotels have safety deposits so keep you card safe and make sure you have enough money on your account. I would never advise on travellers' cheques.

Another important tip is HAGGLE. NEVER EVER pay the first price the shop keeper asks; respond with a 20% offer at the most. Haggle and never pay more than half of the original askingprice. Walk away if they aren't reducing enough; they'll come after you and continue bantering. If you're not happy, do not buy. 99 times out of a 100 the same item will be available in several other shops. You'll be surprised at the different prices. It is a hassle by the end of the holiday because you never knowwhat the 'true' price is, However, by then, you'll be so used to it, you will go in with a LOW offer. Don't start
    haggling unless you genuinely want to purchase at the right price. This is frowned upon.

As for restaurants/cafes, you'll be pestered at every one to come in (especially if you stop to look at the menu), have a 'free' drink or something. Novel if you're not used to it but waring after a couple of days. You need to be polite but firm and walk on - make your own mind up. Again, as time goes on you do get fed up and end up ignoring them. Sounds rude but I guess they're used to it. Beware carpet shops!!! You are invited in to share a glass of apple tea; very friendly, talk about your family etc. You get taken to the furthest back room and end up having dozens of carpets laid at your feet but some poor guy who does as he's told by the boss. You could be there for hours; it's very difficult to get away. You may be happy to 'experience' this but unlss you actually want a carpet, make sure you manage to get out without buying. If yu don't want this hassle - DO NOT GO IN ON ANY ACCOUNT. By the way, many shopkeepers will offer you apple tea; they may or may not expect you to purchase - you will have to make your own mind up on whether you accept then walk away.

I don't mean to paint a negative picture on bantering or on Turkey; quite the contrary. My family and I are off to Side in August; this will be our 4th trip to Turkey and we've loved every trip. Fabulous weather and some great people. Enjoy!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure