how much does it cost to own a static caravan?

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    greenface wrote: »
    More details please , my green wheelybin costs me £26 per year just to have a wash. It cost £26 for a take away for 4 of us..

Ha ha. You probably wouldn't like it. It is all on its own on a small plot rented from a farmer. There's been a caravan there for sixty years or so (not the same one!) My grandfather took it over forty years ago and it's been passed down to me.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I would love that :cool: brilliant retreat for ten bob a week
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Desperado99
    Desperado99 Posts: 1,195
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Forgot to mention earlier, I know someone who sited a caravan and they were also responsible for maintaining and cutting the grass around the caravan. For £3k+ fees I'd want the lot manicured with nail clippers :rotfl:

:rotfl:This reminds me of my dad's caravan. He bought his new (£50K including all the decking, a few years back) and pays about £3k in annual fees. All his neighbours mow their lawns etc, and get really stroppy with him for not cutting 'his' lawn. He just goes off to the office and tells them to do it (which they do, because they are supposed to)

As he says, he didn't buy a caravan to spend all his time cutting the grass. :rotfl:
  • adviceforall
    adviceforall Posts: 682 Forumite
    At Haven parks you have:
    The cost of buying your caravan, HP or cash varies form caravan to caravan
    Site fees are the biggest expense which vary from site to site and even different places within a park.
    Gas and electric ( ours are piped gas some parks have bottles which you can buy yourself)you also have to pay an availability charge.
    Caravan insurance, we do ours through the park some owners arrange theirs themselves
    Rates ( no council tax)
    Haven do all the grass cutting, I think ours is cut weekly.
    You are responsible for keeping the underneath / around the caravan clean and tidy.
    Haven run an owners referral scheme where existing owners can refer new owners to the park, the new owners if they buy can obtain a £1000 discount by going through an owner and getting a voucher from them.
    I know I have not provided any amounts but it really does vary from caravan/park, if you would like an idea what we pay them please pm me.
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    In the static we get a allowance of over £100 per year included in our fees although as prices have gone up we are getting less ellecy for our £100 needs a rebalance me thinks. Cottages/chalets have a coin/card meter for ellecy and seem to be metered fairly but watch certain site make their own rules as pompeyfaithful has said .
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    IMHO i have found haven to be one of the best above board clear parks with their homeowners being more valued than many others. A good reasonable return for owner subletters . Also a good place to enjoy Havens parks for a owner user. Getting the balance right is the hardest
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    edited 7 April 2011 at 4:04PM
    Would it be a better idea to buy a decent trailer tent - the sort that goes up in 30 seconds and you can then go when/where you want? Ive been looking at the Combi Camp ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOSV3nBfDd4

http://www.combi-camp.co.uk/
  • born_blonde
    born_blonde Posts: 357 Forumite
    I love my static. Bought it in October for a steep price but it has a brilliant location with no neighbours on our left just uninterrupted views. The park has a shop, club, launderette and childrens play area non of which we tend to use except the shop. Site fees £2,500, insurance £140 electricity by meter and gas by the cylinder.
    It's our second home ready when we are except for 6 weeks a year when the park is closed.
    I don't want to rent it out at the moment but it is always an option.
    Good luck and do your research.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Able Archer
  • Foggster
    Foggster Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    I love my static. Bought it in October for a steep price but it has a brilliant location with no neighbours on our left just uninterrupted views. The park has a shop, club, launderette and childrens play area non of which we tend to use except the shop. Site fees £2,500, insurance £140 electricity by meter and gas by the cylinder.
    It's our second home ready when we are except for 6 weeks a year when the park is closed.
    I don't want to rent it out at the moment but it is always an option.
    Good luck and do your research.

This is similar to ours. We have our own meter and we pay at the end of the season at a great rate. We use ours for 9 months of the year and we use around 2 gas bottles which works out about £10 a month so not extortionate.

It depends what you want it for. Its like a car in that it isnt an investment unless you want to sub let. Personally we only sub to friends and family because it is a lovely van and we dont like the idea of any Tom !!!!!! and Harry using it and not treating it well.

We are on a private site with a laundrette and great club house with good food and entertainment.
  • thanks everyone. looks liker i've got some research to do!!!!!:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure