PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Thermos lid won't budge

puss14
puss14 Posts: 310 Forumite
edited 28 April 2010 at 3:54AM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi,
I am not sure what to do as my thermos lid is firmly stuck on. It is a plastic type screw lid and a metal base and I cant seem to budge it. The problem is that the water has gone cold and now there is a vacuum that seems unbreakable. Any ideas on what to do?
Thanks very much
Thailand 3010/15000 2015

Comments

• bunny_too
    bunny_too Posts: 266 Forumite
    This happened to mine too:(, i ended up having to buy a new one. I tried dipping it into boiling water and then plunging it into ice cold water, even this didn't budge it. BTx
  • puss14
    Oh thats a major bummer:(
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
  • Grimbal
    Grimbal Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    there was this exact same question posted on Yahoo questions, one of the replies being to soak the flask in very hot water for a long time - might be worth a go before throwing it out? There's also another couple of alternatives in there that you might like to try

HTH
    Liz
    x

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080917125253AADbze0
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does the lid screw into the flask or over the flask -IYSWIM?
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • Try gently tapping the lid against a hard surface (such as the edge of your kitchen work surface). Gradually twist the flask around so that you tap the whole perimeter of the lid.

It often works for me to free the vacuum on jars of jam :D
    Elementary my dear Watson...
    ...and Jess, Jane, Hercule and Endeavour!!
  • marcowil
    marcowil Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    not sure if this would work but I have tried wrapping elastic bands tightly around a jammed lid before and this seems to help
    The Daily Mail
    Tagline - "Why let the truth get in the way of a story to incense Middle England"
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    With jars I turn them upside down and bang on the floor a few times.
  • puss14
    Thanks for the link Grimbal, hopefully one of the suggestions will work. I will report back.

Psykicpup it is a screw in lid.

Sherlock, I did try this earlier but maybe after the hot water it will help.

Thanks to everyone who has replied I will let you know what worked (hopefully;))
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
  • puss14 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am not sure what to do as my thermos lid is firmly stuck on. It is a plastic type screw lid and a metal base and I cant seem to budge it. The problem is that the water has gone cold and now there is a vacuum that seems unbreakable. Any ideas on what to do?
    Thanks very much

Is the lid inside or outside the metal (can you post a pic). This will determine which piece you need to freeze (the inner bit so that it contracts) and which bit to heat (the outer bit so that it expands).

HTH
    Elementary my dear Watson...
    ...and Jess, Jane, Hercule and Endeavour!!
  • parsonswife8
    parsonswife8 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Hit the lid a few times, with a large table spoon.
    That may break the airlock.
    Or put it out in direct sunlight, for the lid, to expand.

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport